can peakfinder be trusted?

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

can peakfinder be trusted?

Post by jibler »

So after my journey up little scraggy - i am now confronting the possiblity that peakfinder is at times presenting locations on horizon that are in practical effect not visible.

even under ideal circumstances.

but talking about marginal - low on the horizon type stuff

anyone feel me on this?
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Re: can peakfinder be trusted?

Post by speth »

I feel there may be some mathematical errors for the precise location of points from time to time.

But generally when Peakfinder tells you that there's something there, and you know it's not, I feel like it's more a limitation of the human eye and atmospheric haze/interference. Like, OK Peakfinder, it would be impossible to make out the distinct summit of a mountain through 250 miles of the atmosphere, regardless of it being line-of-sight.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

jibler wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:19 pm So after my journey up little scraggy - i am now confronting the possiblity that peakfinder is at times presenting locations on horizon that are in practical effect not visible.
off topic for the thread but related to the peak- jib have you done raleigh yet? after doing the surrounding segments of the CT, its become sort of a location bearing for that area and now i wish i'd gone up for it when i was on trail. it looks like you can tag it from the north without much issue. would be a long day for a little 8er, though.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

two lunches wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:05 pm
jibler wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:19 pm So after my journey up little scraggy - i am now confronting the possiblity that peakfinder is at times presenting locations on horizon that are in practical effect not visible.
off topic for the thread but related to the peak- jib have you done raleigh yet? after doing the surrounding segments of the CT, its become sort of a location bearing for that area and now i wish i'd gone up for it when i was on trail. it looks like you can tag it from the north without much issue. would be a long day for a little 8er, though.
yes raleigh was the first one in my end of year series back there - starting in 2019 - immortalized in a trip report actually.

but i took it from the east - was a bit of a day. now i feel the most efficient attack would be from the top of the world road coming from the west. that country is so barren - you can basically go wherever without much issue.
wineguy
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 143
Trip Reports (7)

Post by wineguy »

In my experience Peakfinder is best when peaks are near and isolated. When peaks are distant and in a range of others, accuracy is more limited. Still, a nice tool, just be aware of limitations.
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters." - Norman Maclean
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

Jibler, I’ve come across this as well. For me, sometimes PeakFinder shows peaks on the horizon that are clearly not visible, even when using binoculars or a long range camera zoom. It’s kinda hit or miss, sometimes showing more than what you can actually see. Especially if the peaks aren’t all that far away, but are clearly blocked by a closer mountain range.
jibler
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

i see times on peakfinder where it seems to be conspicuously putting the dot below the horizon too

as if to say - if this little bit of ridge wasn't here - you'd see this. is that a thing?

but also - it does seem to be learning?

I swear - i'm going back down memory lane for the year here but only now seeing that I actually could see Culebra from Bison Peak this summer

but I scanned the crap out of that when i did it - i would have remembered that. so that was added and updated.

and to peakfinder's credit - that one is visible!! i bagged it in photography. 147 miles baby.