Mt Flora/Colorado Mines Avalanche

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Mt Flora/Colorado Mines Avalanche

Post by Chicago Transplant »

Over the weekend there was a hiker triggered slide on the north side of Colorado Mines Peak that slid all the way to the ground. The individual who triggered it went for a ride, but was otherwise unburied, uninjured, and able to walk out with assistance from SAR. It is a reminder that even peaks that are "winter safe" can quickly no longer be safe when off route. The summer trail for Flora happens to traverse around 12k just over top of an avalanche path known as "Mines 2" and is likely where the slide occurred. It is safer when climbing Flora to go up and over Colorado Mines Peak in both directions and not take the summer trail. The winter route basically follows the county line straight up.

This is the case on other peaks as well, Grays/Torreys the summer trail crosses a slide path, and the summer trail heading to the Democrat/Cameron saddle goes under a slide path as well. Many summer trails are not safe in winter and safe winter travel requires altering the route by leaving a wide berth from the avalanche slopes. Be careful out there everyone!

https://classic.avalanche.state.co.us/c ... s_id=72503

Screen shot from CalTopo with slope shading:
MinePeak.jpg
MinePeak.jpg (202.77 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Mt Flora/Colorado Mines Avalanche

Post by Trotter »

a good safety reminder
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Yep, tis the season for everyone to refresh their avy knowledge - remember to turn on the Slope Angle overlay on the map, check out the satellite views for signs of previous run paths, maybe even use Google Earth historic satellite views to hunt down the less frequent slide paths and of course check out the CAIC forecast and keep track of how much snow comes down in the days leading up to your hike.

Little precautions like that (plus taking an avy class in person or at least some online training) could save your life and/or the lives of others on the mountain.
Screenshot_20221206-190514.png
Screenshot_20221206-190514.png (1.06 MiB) Viewed 1393 times
gzrrnnr
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 94
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gzrrnnr »

We were doing winter peaks 50+ years ago, and must have been lucky to have survived without all the gadgetry. We looked at the slope and turned around if we thought it was not safe. Now the gadgetry is a requirement before mountaineers go up high. Hope the batteries don't run down before you get to the hill....
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

gzrrnnr wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:16 am We were doing winter peaks 50+ years ago, and must have been lucky to have survived without all the gadgetry. We looked at the slope and turned around if we thought it was not safe. Now the gadgetry is a requirement before mountaineers go up high. Hope the batteries don't run down before you get to the hill....
That's awesome and a really cool memory to look back on!

I seem to recall hearing that the Aztecs used to do brain surgery, without all the gadgetry. Some folks might prefer that approach. Personally I'll stick with the latest technology if I ever need brain surgery.

And there are a multitude of solutions in today's world for dealing with the battery issue. In my modest 2.5 or so decades of climbing I can count on one hand the number of times I've had issues with batteries - and I've always been able to resolve those issues on the trail.

So if going old school is your thing, more power to you! Some of us comparatively younger folks could probably benefit from the practical knowledge folks like you have built up over the years, but you might just be surprised at what technology can do for you today...

Personally, I don't want to drive for 4+ hours on my limited time off work just to have to look at a slope and then turn around because it's not safe. Today's technology can significantly enhance that odds of finding a route that's safely doable on a given weekend, thus making it more likely that I'll successfully summit.

But to each their own...
swetnesss
14ers: 47  2 
13ers: 106 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by swetnesss »

Sometimes I feel like Alltrails is to blame for these types of incidents. I’ve come across a few people who were semi lost or ill prepared due to Alltrails recommendations. One couple doing their first 14er on grays peak but alltrails told them the standard route started at peru creek. People hiking up to alpine lakes in the fall and spring only to find them frozen over and covered in feet of snow. And also cars getting stuck trying to get to the summer trailhead in winter.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

swetnesss wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:47 pm Sometimes I feel like Alltrails is to blame for these types of incidents. I’ve come across a few people who were semi lost or ill prepared due to Alltrails recommendations. One couple doing their first 14er on grays peak but alltrails told them the standard route started at peru creek. People hiking up to alpine lakes in the fall and spring only to find them frozen over and covered in feet of snow. And also cars getting stuck trying to get to the summer trailhead in winter.
I don't use Alltrails, but it's silly to blame an app for people getting in accidents. You shouldn't need an app to tell you that a slope is prone to avalanche, that alpine lakes are frozen in the spring, nor should you need one to tell you not to drive through snowdrifts.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
HarkNeal
14ers: 4 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by HarkNeal »

Scott P wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:08 pm I don't use Alltrails, but it's silly to blame an app for people getting in accidents. You shouldn't need an app to tell you that a slope is prone to avalanche, that alpine lakes are frozen in the spring, nor should you need one to tell you not to drive through snowdrifts.
AllTrails isn't the sole reason why n00bs get themselves into trouble, but it definitely plays a part. I haven't checked the stats, but it's one of the top smartphone hiking apps (if not the outright #1), and for years their content moderation was total 💩. Anybody could create a trail anywhere, and it would immediately be visible to the entire world. You had "trails" on private property, "trails" that were misnamed and/or amalgamations of several trails, and people would just upload rando GPS tracks and call it a trail. They've gotten better with their moderation and curation, but it's still pretty damn awful. AllTrails makes it easy for people who don't necessarily know what they're doing to make a decision based on tons of pretty pics and a "trail," and they head out totally unprepared. I always suggest using it as a resource, but it shouldn't ever be the final one.

FWIW, I updated the trail description for Flora on Hiking Project after this incident to highlight the avvy danger in winter. Waiting for my edit to be approved.
CORed
14ers: 10  1 
13ers: 10 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CORed »

Scott P wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:08 pm
swetnesss wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:47 pm Sometimes I feel like Alltrails is to blame for these types of incidents. I’ve come across a few people who were semi lost or ill prepared due to Alltrails recommendations. One couple doing their first 14er on grays peak but alltrails told them the standard route started at peru creek. People hiking up to alpine lakes in the fall and spring only to find them frozen over and covered in feet of snow. And also cars getting stuck trying to get to the summer trailhead in winter.
I don't use Alltrails, but it's silly to blame an app for people getting in accidents. You shouldn't need an app to tell you that a slope is prone to avalanche, that alpine lakes are frozen in the spring, nor should you need one to tell you not to drive through snowdrifts.
Blindly following any app, whether it's Alltrails for hiking, or Google Maps for driving is likely to get you in trouble sooner or later. You've got to pay attention to the real world, and if the app is telling you to go somewhere that doesn't make sense, don't go there.