Remembering Ed Webster

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Ebenton
Trip Reports (0)

Remembering Ed Webster

Post by Ebenton »

I didn't know Mr Webster, I came across this article somewhere online a week or so ago. Mr Webster was born in Massachusetts, attended Colorado College, lived in Colorado Springs.
Webster, along with Steven Venables, Paul Teare, and Robert Anderson , put up Kangshng Face on the east side of Mt Everest. A link here

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-a ... hung-face/

Mr Webster passed way at his home In Maine, November 22 2022.
RIP
John Landers
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Remembering Ed Webster

Post by John Landers »

Sorry to hear od Ed's passing. Sometime in the early 1990's, Ed was working at the Westminster Recreation Center as their climbing wall supervisor and I met him and talked to him regularly. A really nice and humble person. RIP
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

in the late 1980ies, about a year after i joined the CMC, i had the pleasure of seeing mr. Webster give a slide show at an REI by Denver.
it had a lot of his rock climbing efforts and was wonderful. Rip mr. Webster.
laswa-guide
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 136
Trip Reports (0)

Post by laswa-guide »

Ebenton,
Thanks for sharing.

I was privileged to attend a talk that Ed did for the CMC High Altitude Mountaineering School (HAMS) about his solo day on Changtse while on one of his 3 Everest trips. Then he was on a winter trip on Square Top. Nice, humble person who shared his knowledge with others.

laswa-guide
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Was he related to Daniel Webster?
Jim Davies
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 67
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Jim Davies »

I saw a talk he gave about 20 years ago. His book on the Everest years is excellent. The Colorado Springs paper had a front-page story about him last week, with interviews of friends from his days at Colorado College. https://gazette.com/life/ed-webster-pio ... e1a73.html
Climbing at altitude is like hitting your head against a brick wall — it's great when you stop. -- Chris Darwin
I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now. -- Forrest Gump
docjohn
Trip Reports (7)

Post by docjohn »

I'm sorry to hear of Eds' death. He and I connected during our 1985 Everest West Ridge Expedition; I was the medical officer and he of course contributed mightily to the technical climbing from base camp to the Lho La.
RIP Ed...
...let me remind you of the pilgrim who asked for an audience with the Dalai Lama.
He was told he must first spend five years in contemplation. After the five years, he was ushered into the Dalai Lama's presence, who said, 'Well, my son, what do you wish to know?' So the pilgrim said, 'I wish to know the meaning of life, father.'
And the Dalai Lama smiled and said, 'Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?'

procol harum