Train to Needleton Reservations

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Train to Needleton Reservations

Post by greenonion »

Can anyone suggest how early or soon train reservations should be made for Durango to Needleton? In other words, when reservations open up is it wise to get them right away or do they not usually sell out for a while? Get em in January? Or ok to wait until March/April timeframe?
Skimo95
14ers: 58  13  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Train to Needleton Reservations

Post by Skimo95 »

They’re usually pretty easy to contact by phone Stu. I think they’ve been opening up reservations early spring! I was going to start a go fund me for a helicopter, think that’ll get some donations?
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

They don't open summer reservations until March. Depending on your dates, weekdays or weekends you could wait a bit, but not too long. People had some success rescheduling last year but some had to get on another group reservation.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

cougar wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:45 am They don't open summer reservations until March. Depending on your dates, weekdays or weekends you could wait a bit, but not too long. People had some success rescheduling last year but some had to get on another group reservation.
After calling the train folks they told me that reservations will open some time in January, but no exact date given yet. Thus my expression of dates in my question. Thanks for the feedback so far!

Lots of luck on your helicopter funding project, Skimo!
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

So the question is, whether tickets become available in January or March, is it recommended to jump on it and purchase them immediately? Is there a mad rush for it, and do reservations fill up quickly before May? I assume that most of the people buying tickets are not hikers but families with kids planning for something to do during summer vacation.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

disentangled wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:23 am So the question is, whether tickets become available in January or March, is it recommended to jump on it and purchase them immediately? Is there a mad rush for it, and do reservations fill up quickly before May? I assume that most of the people buying tickets are not hikers but families with kids planning for something to do during summer vacation.
Only a certain number of “parties” is allowed to be dropped off each day. I believe the number last year was 9. Each party could have up to 15 people, and the given people in a party don’t need to have the same itinerary or even know each other. Basically an awkwardly designed quota system.

If you are booking a weekend, especially a holiday weekend it’s be best to do so early. By May or June last year people were already looking for a “party” to join for weekends. The non-hiker ticket buyers don’t really play a role due to the drop off quotas.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

dwoodward13 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:07 am
disentangled wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:23 am So the question is, whether tickets become available in January or March, is it recommended to jump on it and purchase them immediately? Is there a mad rush for it, and do reservations fill up quickly before May? I assume that most of the people buying tickets are not hikers but families with kids planning for something to do during summer vacation.
Only a certain number of “parties” is allowed to be dropped off each day. I believe the number last year was 9. Each party could have up to 15 people, and the given people in a party don’t need to have the same itinerary or even know each other. Basically an awkwardly designed quota system.

If you are booking a weekend, especially a holiday weekend it’s be best to do so early. By May or June last year people were already looking for a “party” to join for weekends. The non-hiker ticket buyers don’t really play a role due to the drop off quotas.
Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining that! It's obvious now but I was missing the point that "drop offs" fall into a different category. So there are essentially only ~9 tickets for drop offs each day, with up to 15 people on each ticket. That explains why snapping up a reservation early makes sense.
greenonion
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Thanks everyone for the details and clarifications
sfreytag
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by sfreytag »

Tickets are currently on sale for this summer. Just booked my trip for Labor Day weekend! BTW you must call them (can't book online) for Wilderness Access.
Cygnus X1
14ers: 44  1 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Cygnus X1 »

Made our group reservation today. Was conservative with the exit date to allow for a weather day. The person I talked to said we could come out early provided seats were available. Has anyone here found they couldn't catch a ride back to Durango a day early due to no available seats? With 135 seats for climbing parties, it seems there wouldn't be a problem catching an earlier train but thought I'd ask here.
timewarp01
14ers: 55  10 
13ers: 45 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by timewarp01 »

Cygnus X1 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:57 pm Made our group reservation today. Was conservative with the exit date to allow for a weather day. The person I talked to said we could come out early provided seats were available. Has anyone here found they couldn't catch a ride back to Durango a day early due to no available seats? With 135 seats for climbing parties, it seems there wouldn't be a problem catching an earlier train but thought I'd ask here.
Last year I came out a day early and there were no seats but they let us stand in the middle between the benches on the open car.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

I could think of worse areas to be "stranded" an extra day than such a beautiful wooded mountain region. Bring extra food.