Routes with 10k vertical

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Re: Routes with 10k vertical

Post by supranihilest »

For 13er routes...
Mummy Madness (Mummy Range traverse in RMNP)
Evans Egis (mine was modified and didn't include Bierstadt)
Mount Adams A and surrounding 13ers from Horn Creek
Blackwall Mountain, 12,913, Wildhorse Peak, 12,739, Cow Benchmark, 13,132, Darley Mountain, And Engineer Mountain A from North Fork Henson Creek comes real close. Add nearby "Dragon's Back" or the Dolly Varden Mountain/13,093, Sunshine Mountain A combo to bump it over 10k.
curt86iroc
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by curt86iroc »

mt Morrison 5 times
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

Pikes Peak from Manitou via Incline and east gully direct is the most efficient vert route in CO without doing lots of BS laps on a peak. Yields 8k in 9 miles one way. For the additional verts, you can do an over/back for a 12k day, or double incline, or Cameron cone, or red and Iron to finish the day to get close to 10k without repeating anything (well unless you do 2 cline laps).

Pyramid and Bells traverse combo is close, and Elbert/Massive combo is too as someone else said
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

Pikes Peak Barr Trail will get you 8000ft gain, add on Incline when your done to get 10,000.
planet54
14ers: 58 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by planet54 »

Mount Princeton via Grouse Canyon and SW Ridge. 5100 feet per Roach. Back down and a short walk to Baldwin Gulch for Mount Antero. 4900 feet per Roach. Grouse Canyon is short and steep. Baldwin is not very appealing but easier for the finish.
I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H D Thoreau
weakenedwarrior
14ers: 32  1  15 
13ers: 34 3 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by weakenedwarrior »

I did Massive up East Ridge, down Southwest Slopes, followed by Elbert up West Gully, down Bull Hill, and that was 10k and change in just under 20 miles. That's also the start of Nolan's North to South. You would need a car shuttle for that.
Without a shuttle, you can park near where the Colorado Trail intersects Half Moon Creek road, and go up Massive East Slopes, down Southwest Slopes, up Elbert West Gully and down Northeast ridge. That should also give you 10k or close in a fun loop that avoids the "go up whatever mountain x times" and any out and back. That also keeps the mileage very reasonable.
Eli Watson
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 74
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Eli Watson »

Lots of great recommendations here, it really depends on your appetite for mileage to achieve that kind of gain. Any of the 5000+ Sawatch Range peaks that are close together can be linked up with minimal driving, shuttles expand that list. The Crestone Group are well clustered. Duathlons from the Front Range have the largest net gain without starting in Kansas. Drawing your own ridge runs on topo map sites allows you to be as creative as you desire. If you're interested in classic routes, head over to the Routes page on the FKT site, apply whatever filters you want (e.g. United States + Colorado), sort by Vertical Gain descending and go from there. It's not a perfect tool, as a lot of the routes uploaded have so many different versions that the Vertical Gain isn't a sortable metric for some. It's a place to start.
People who are hardcore don't think they're hardcore. Marshall Ulrich, Fastest Known Podcast #85
blazintoes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 327 3 73
Trip Reports (16)

Post by blazintoes »

jimwei
14ers: 21 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jimwei »

Manitou Springs to Pikes Peak via Barry Trail, down down to Crags Trailhead, then retrace the route back to Manitou Springs. About 11,800 ft. I think someone called this Pikes Peak Back Slap?

Belford Oxford Iowa Emerald Missouri combo is about 10k if you don't traverse the Missouri East Ridge but dip down to either basin from Elkhead Pass.

Shavano Tab Antero then loop back to Shavano TH via CT is 9K+.

In the Sangre's: Spread Eagle, Peak of the Clouds, Rito Alto, Hermit, Eureka, Venable, Spring Mt., and Comanche, then take Rainbow trail back to Gibson Creek TH should be close to 10K if not over.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Be creative and imaginative in looking at a topo. Really depends on what you’re looking for wrt a bunch of summits, some long successive up-downs, scrambling, mostly on trail??
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Gandalf69 »

Maybe the Pikes Peak Marathon, 2x? Or maybe the Leadville 100, but all in one day? Walking from the CO state line to the summit of MT Elbert also might work.
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
headsizeburrito
14ers: 29  18 
13ers: 89 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by headsizeburrito »

Jorts wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:36 pm Be creative and imaginative in looking at a topo. Really depends on what you’re looking for wrt a bunch of summits, some long successive up-downs, scrambling, mostly on trail??
Yes, this is really what it comes down to. You aren't going to get 10K+ without being a little creative. For me when I want a big day I like to do a 14er and then add as many nearby 13ers as I can get to chip away at my checklists. For example last summer I did Missouri from Willis Gulch, tagging 13ers Hope and Quail on the way back (31mi/12,700k). You can come up with lots of combos like this if you spend some time with a map, especially if you are open to going off trail a bit.
ChrisinAZ wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:35 am Cactus to Clouds on San Jacinto
I assume OP was asking about Colorado, but this is a classic hike for good reason! I actually went out there and did a double back in December, fun adventure and a beautiful area.