Winter 14ers record attempt?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Re: Winter 14ers record attempt?

Post by d_baker »

angry wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:38 pm
Does anyone know what the slowest known time is to have completed the winter list? Maybe I can take a shot at that.
Steve Gladbach's first winter 14er was in 1988. He finished in 2011.
however, I think once he decided the winter 14ers was going to be a personal goal, he reset his start date from that point on.
I don't know that slowest time though.
astranko
14ers: 41  16 
13ers: 131 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by astranko »

Anyone have an update on Chris? I noticed his Garmin hasn't moved since the 22nd.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Probably in stealth mode for Lindsey.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
andreasansone
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (1)

Post by andreasansone »

Looks like he had to go back to Texas for a while. We were assuming today he didn’t want to be hit by the predicted 50 mph winds… thinking he will pick back up tomorrow
“Be not afraid of going slowly, be afraid only of standing still.”
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Jorts wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:51 pm Is "Dirty Dozen" the best name for some challenging winter summits? It's winter. And snowy, cold and icy. "Dirty" sounds like some loose, sketchy multi-pitch routes that don't see much traffic.

Maybe instead:

The Diabolical Dozen
The Twisted Twelve
The Fun Dozen
The Decadent Dozen
Maybe it's before your time but the moniker comes from the movie with Lee Marvin and Charles Bronson with the same name, think from the 1960s. If you recall each of those 12 characters, apply it to each of the characters of those mountains and it makes a little more sense!
mindfolded
14ers: 43  3 
13ers: 20 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mindfolded »

andreasansone wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:23 am Looks like he had to go back to Texas for a while. We were assuming today he didn’t want to be hit by the predicted 50 mph winds… thinking he will pick back up tomorrow
From his Strava:
"First day moving in almost a week. This past week off due to sickness, funeral, travel & what not has put a damper in my groove. Time to get back on pace.
Checked out the falls & then scrambled around on some rock for about an hour. It was fun & felt good. Didn’t really feel motivated to go up into 80-90mph gusts today. Probably won’t wanna go up in 90-100mph gusts tomorrow. But Tuesday & beyond looks prime. So going to hit it hard again starting Tuesday.
Ellingwood off in the distance. Going up that & Blanca first on Tuesday & then maybe traverse to Little Bear. Otherwise little bear Wednesday & Crestones Thursday. 50 days left of winter, let’s get jt"
the_hare
14ers: 25  21 
13ers: 21 2
Trip Reports (6)

Post by the_hare »

mindfolded wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:20 pm
Ellingwood off in the distance. Going up that & Blanca first on Tuesday & then maybe traverse to Little Bear. Otherwise little bear Wednesday & Crestones Thursday. 50 days left of winter, let’s get jt"
Looks like he's following thru with his plan, just did Ellingwood & Blanca and coming back down to Lake Como basin now. https://share.garmin.com/EYYHG
andrewhamilton
14ers: 58  2  58 
13ers: 95
Trip Reports (3)

Post by andrewhamilton »

I took a look at his track yesterday and it brought back bad memories of when i did Ellingwood in winter. Those gullies on the standard route from Blanca can be full of snow and i just remember feeling like i was swimming through unconsolidated powder in there. The idea mentioned earlier of staying on the ridge the entire way from Blanca seems like a good one, although i have never tried that even in summer.

Anyway Chris mentioned he may have suffered some frost nip on his toes yesterday (with the winds the temp according to mountain-forecast was supposed to feel like -22). So he is going to go for Little Bear tomorrow and give his feet a chance to improve today.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

andrewhamilton wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:17 am The idea mentioned earlier of staying on the ridge the entire way from Blanca seems like a good one, although i have never tried that even in summer.
It's a straightforward ridge run with a little scrambling but would leave you more exposed to the elements on a cold day. Guess they decided just to accept the slide risk down and out the gut.

Things are shaping up well from an avalanche perspective for their ensuing pushes down here in the SJs. Unfortunately the Elks are shallower and sound like they might have some midpack weak layers. That would give me a lot of hesitation with those peaks.
2023-02-01_07-51-00.jpg
2023-02-01_07-51-00.jpg (235.89 KiB) Viewed 556 times
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Ryan987
14ers: 26  3 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ryan987 »

Update - the mad man has finished the Blanca group sans Lindsay (?)
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

I assume the lack of track on the summit of LB is just a glitch or the location is just a bit off?
https://share.garmin.com/EYYHG

Joel
andrewhamilton
14ers: 58  2  58 
13ers: 95
Trip Reports (3)

Post by andrewhamilton »

JQDivide wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:16 pm I assume the lack of track on the summit of LB is just a glitch or the location is just a bit off?
https://share.garmin.com/EYYHG

Joel
I'm sure its just a glitch as the tracker only pinged at 12:18 and then 1:08. So in those 50 minutes they had plenty of time to reach the summit and then head back towards South Little Bear. However without those 10 minute pings the satellite track shown appears to have turned back short of reaching the summit.

Those glitches are annoying, because when you are trying to set a record, one of the purposes of the tracker is to prove you reached the summit. The last thing you want to do is ignite some sort of "Did they actually reach the top" controversy. To avoid issues like that I always like to create a preset message, something like "I'm at the top". You always send that preset message when you reach a summit. Then there will always be a point at the summit along your track. So no questions would ever come up like "Did they actually make the summit or not?" Its also really nice because it helps people keep track of your exact splits for record keeping purposes.

I wish everyone would do that, especially with the inReach trackers, when they were out to set a mountain climbing record.