Winter 14ers record attempt?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Re: Winter 14ers record attempt?

Post by supranihilest »

andrewhamilton wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:38 pm
JQDivide wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:16 pm I assume the lack of track on the summit of LB is just a glitch or the location is just a bit off?
https://share.garmin.com/EYYHG

Joel
I'm sure its just a glitch as the tracker only pinged at 12:18 and then 1:08. So in those 50 minutes they had plenty of time to reach the summit and then head back towards South Little Bear. However without those 10 minute pings the satellite track shown appears to have turned back short of reaching the summit.

Those glitches are annoying, because when you are trying to set a record, one of the purposes of the tracker is to prove you reached the summit. The last thing you want to do is ignite some sort of "Did they actually reach the top" controversy. To avoid issues like that I always like to create a preset message, something like "I'm at the top". You always send that preset message when you reach a summit. Then there will always be a point at the summit along your track. So no questions would ever come up like "Did they actually make the summit or not?" Its also really nice because it helps people keep track of your exact splits for record keeping purposes.

I wish everyone would do that, especially with the inReach trackers, when they were out to set a mountain climbing record.
I started doing this exact thing, inspired by following you on your 14er FKTs. Great for both the historical record of having done something as well as quick status updates to people following on the Map Share like friends or my technologically challenged parents. I have a preset message for summits and one each for having left or returned to camp/trailhead at the start or end of my day, respectively.
HikerBox
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 126 6
Trip Reports (3)

Post by HikerBox »

I think what these two are doing is incredible and wish them luck. That said, this forum seems to be forgetting the CO snowpacks ability to generate *new* and exciting weak layers.

1 to 2 week dry spell with cold nighttime temperatures? Faceting will occur on most aspects and get buried in the next storms.

Unseasonably warm temperatures? Sun crusts make great sliding surfaces!

Jet stream decides to make an appearance? Goodbye snow on west-facing slopes, hello east-facing slabs!

Typical spring skiing season on bomber consolidated snow doesn't really make an appearance until well into April most years. Even good winters will only have relatively short windows of stable conditions.

One not-yet-listed advantage of skis over snowshoes - the broader surface area means your weight impacts a shallower depth of the snowpack compared to snowshoes. You are infact less likely to trigger an avalanche and more likely to advoid it once triggered (on the way down anyway).
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

JQDivide wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:16 pm I assume the lack of track on the summit of LB is just a glitch or the location is just a bit off?

Joel
Chris has a picture of Erin on the summit of Little Bear on Instagram. So that is enough proof for me that they made the summit.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
andrewhamilton
14ers: 58  2  58 
13ers: 95
Trip Reports (3)

Post by andrewhamilton »

HikerBox wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:02 pm I think what these two are doing is incredible and wish them luck. That said, this forum seems to be forgetting the CO snowpacks ability to generate *new* and exciting weak layers.
I’m not really sure how you are getting the impression that the forum is forgetting about the dangers associated with climbing the Fourteeners in winter??? I’m sure Erin and Chris are going to be obsessed with avy conditions whether or not we get any new snow for awhile.
andrewhamilton
14ers: 58  2  58 
13ers: 95
Trip Reports (3)

Post by andrewhamilton »

climbingcue wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:36 pm

Joel
Chris has a picture of Erin on the summit of Little Bear on Instagram. So that is enough proof for me that they made the summit.
Recently it was discovered that a person who submitted an FKT had faked their strava data, and after investigating the FKT admin removed the FKT. To me that just means anyone going to the trouble to take on any FKT challenge would be wise to cover their bases. Pictures on a summit are great although by themselves could be faked. But pictures with a track is pretty good:)

It may seem trivial to those of you who don’t care about fkts, but imagine spending months on a project like this where you dedicate yourself to something so hard and dangerous, only to leave yourself open to accusations later on. It can really ruin the whole experience.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

andrewhamilton wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:57 pm
HikerBox wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 3:02 pm I think what these two are doing is incredible and wish them luck. That said, this forum seems to be forgetting the CO snowpacks ability to generate *new* and exciting weak layers.
I’m not really sure how you are getting the impression that the forum is forgetting about the dangers associated with climbing the Fourteeners in winter??? I’m sure Erin and Chris are going to be obsessed with avy conditions whether or not we get any new snow for awhile.
Right? Avy concerns have been discussed at length, Box.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Ryan987
14ers: 26  3 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Ryan987 »

Yikes. Anyone else here saw Erin's Instagram story? Looks like she has pretty bad intermediate stage frostbite on her thumb
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Joel
Saw that too, but if you look on Strava, they posted a continuous track with summit photos. My Inreach has done the same in occasion - stopped recording for whatever reason (sometimes cold temps like on Capitol, but it happened in the summer as well).
Real bummer on frostbite. Luckily I've never had an issue in 11 years, but came close a couple times.
HikerBox wrote:
One not-yet-listed advantage of skis over snowshoes - the broader surface area means your weight impacts a shallower depth of the snowpack compared to snowshoes. You are infact less likely to trigger an avalanche...
#1 reason, saw that firsthand
andreasansone
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (1)

Post by andreasansone »

Update on Erin. Via text:

The docs strongly encouraged her to stop the project. If the cells freeze again he said she will likely loose the finger.
She’s probably not finishing the project, but will tag along on nice weather days.

Good job out there Erin!! What you can do out there in the cold and snow is impressive!!
“Be not afraid of going slowly, be afraid only of standing still.”
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

The avy hazard and weather windows have opened down here in the SJs. Chris is aiming for Challenger tomorrow then working his way south and west - Unc/Wett followed by Handies/Sunshine/Redcloud then if all goes to plan a voyage into Chi Basin.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
KentonB
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (3)

Post by KentonB »

Anyone know if Chris made Kit Carson today? Looks like he started down the Avenue, but it's a little hard to say with the 10-min intervals on InReach.
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

KentonB wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:15 pm Anyone know if Chris made Kit Carson today? Looks like he started down the Avenue, but it's a little hard to say with the 10-min intervals on InReach.
It's hard to say. He may have taken the 5.6(?) SW ridge (extension of the Prow), the one that Jason Maki did during his record attempt in '16. Avenue may be impassable with all that new snow in a good snow year like this one.