Recent La Plata Conditions?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Geckser
14ers: 58  9  10 
13ers: 274 16 29
Trip Reports (2)

Recent La Plata Conditions?

Post by Geckser »

Hello,

I am interested in heading up two of La Plata’s neighbors, Pt 13300 F and 13460, but I am not confident in what the conditions are like above treeline. These peaks would be fun and relatively easy if dry above treeline but would hold dangerous avalanche slopes if snowy. I was surprised how dry Gladstone Ridge was today above treeline but conditions seem very variable in the Sawatch right now.

So, I was wondering if anyone had any recent pictures of these smaller peaks, which sit on the ridgeline just West of La Plata. I would also be interested in any recent pictures or status updates on the La Plata ridge itself.

Thanks for anything provided.
k_fergie
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 160 34 6
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Recent La Plata Conditions?

Post by k_fergie »

I have no pictures or beta, but I can say that 13460 E face makes for an excellent sloppy corn harvest come springtime if you don't get a winter trip figured out. And it links well with Sayres BM. In a single day if you're an animal (the north side of Sayres stayed really cold and frozen hours past the corn o'clock on the east aspect of 13460), or a gear stash up in the basin to save some luggage energy on back-to-back outings which is what we did
I thought, I taught, I wrought
Logan5280
14ers: 58  7  8 
13ers: 18
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Recent La Plata Conditions?

Post by Logan5280 »

Went up La Plata on 2/4. Photos from the trip including views of surrounding peaks are here:

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstat ... cnum=25042

As for avy conditions, use caution. Fairly stable in places, wind loaded in others. I saw a natural avalanche on whatever peak is west of Star Mountain, on an east-facing slope above treeline, which happened on 2/2 according to CAIC. Report here:

https://classic.avalanche.state.co.us/c ... s_id=74146