New Ford Bronco

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
susanjoypaul
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 88 6
Trip Reports (2)

Re: New Ford Bronco

Post by susanjoypaul »

Last edited by susanjoypaul on Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
curt86iroc
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by curt86iroc »

susanjoypaul wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:22 pm
highpilgrim wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:06 pm Susan:

Here’s another for trim questions.

.2A6D73C2-DFCD-44C7-A0AC-2CAF76C8DDD5.jpeg
Okay, it's a WildTrak. Similar grill and also comes with the Sasquatch package (same suspension, wheels, and tires as the First Edition). The WildTrak graphic on the side is a dead giveaway.

It's about $10K less because the First Edition comes standard with all the luxury interior stuff. And I guess you can get the step with the WildTrak.

Retractable twill Bestop roof. That's extra.
IMO still too much $$$ for a truck that gets 17mpg... but i will give ford 2 big kudos for the manual transmission AND offering the off road package across all trim levels!
susanjoypaul
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Last edited by susanjoypaul on Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I finally saw a real Bronco today, it was metallic gray, I *think* it had the darker lettering in the grille which seems like it might have been the base model. Coincidentally a Bronco Sport was driving by so you could see the visual/size difference.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

So how did it work out for everyone who bought/ordered one? It seems that a lot of people who ordered one avl9ng time ago still haven't got one and a lot of people who did had problems with theirs, though maybe some of the bugs have been worked out by now?

Just curious.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
susanjoypaul
Trip Reports (2)

Post by susanjoypaul »

Last edited by susanjoypaul on Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Boggy B
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 777 76
Trip Reports (40)

Post by Boggy B »

My father-in-law impulse bought a 2-door base with Sasquatch (35's) someone decided they didn't want. That entitled him to a Bronco Off-Roadeo guided trail day in Moab, and I went along as a +1. We ran the Seven Mile Rim Trail, which has one fairly exciting obstacle called Wipeout Hill.

The Goat modes are pointless and I hate digital instruments. But the biggest problem I see, apart from the ridiculous price tag, is the guts of the Bronco don't seem to be protected well by the frame, and even on 35's it (the 4-door at least) has mediocre breakover. The trail guide wasn't picking good lines on the ledges and they were bashing the rear link mounts, which though bomber are a problem as they're well forward of the rear axle and like 4" drop. They were also raking the gas tank (I think?) plates quite a bit, and the tour rigs had damage to exhaust components in front of the crossmember. I found this surprising, so when we got home I took some measurements vs. my 3" lifted FJ on 33's and except for departure my angles are better and I have more clearance all around (apart from rear diff), significantly more in places. The Bronco on 35's really should be lifted 2" from the factory--if you're dropping 50 grand for a purpose-built truck you shouldn't have to lift it.

That said, it's an amazing 4x4. Front lockers are a game changer, and even the base model has front and rear lockers, which dis/engage instantaneously. Sway bar disconnect is clutch. Turn assist (drags a wheel to tighten up turns) is mostly frivolous, but the 2-door can do bonkers ATV circles. The gearing in 4L is low, the wide stance (though I'm not a fan) makes it feel really stable, and it rides smooth off and on the trails, even with however much (too much) pressure the tour rigs ran.

I do think the cost of ownership will be high, and owning a vehicle like this beyond the warranty would make me pretty nervous.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

Boggy B wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:31 pm I do think the cost of ownership will be high, and owning a vehicle like this beyond the warranty would make me pretty nervous.
it's a ford. dump it before you hit 100K or you'll be sorry (and broke)
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Altitude High
14ers: 26 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Altitude High »

Really. I don't see why any sane person would spend good money on a Ford.