Skiing Quandary East Ridge

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
gonefishing05
14ers: 8  2 
13ers: 4 1
Trip Reports (0)

Skiing Quandary East Ridge

Post by gonefishing05 »

Wondering how likely a ski descent of Quandary's East Ridge would be in mid-march. I know itll be dependent on what the weather does, but is it commonly snow-covered enough that time of year or pretty hit/miss?

Any other recommendations for similar long, easy, low-risk ski descents that may be in during March?

I am coming from out of state so I am trying to do some basic planning but realize conditions will dictate final plans.

Thanks
vertical_volume
14ers: 55  1  1 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Skiing Quandary East Ridge

Post by vertical_volume »

Yeah it'll be in unless we have a massive dry spell shortly before you come out. I skied it summit to car at the end of March last season and we had a much lower snow season last year compared to this season.

Mt Elbert's east ridge is another low angle one worth checking out, I can't speak for how continuous the top will be- I skied it at the beginning of March and there was a few breaks in snow coverage up high up (probably 900-1200 feet above treeline?) but everything up to it was in and we made it out to the car on skis. Again, much more snow this year so take that into account.
Runnin around - Rob_e179
dolfh
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 148 45
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dolfh »

A few people were skiing Quandary East Ridge on March 17th 2022.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Are you staying in Breck?

Crystal’s east face
Silverheels north side
Guyot’s north tongue
Peak 4
Peak 5
Sky Chutes on the other side
Victoria

A lot depends on avy conditions, snowpack, recent weather but at least one of these will be a good option and I’d consider all of them to be intermediate-ish.

Brent
Snow_Dog_frassati
14ers: 58  8  5 
13ers: 84 4 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Snow_Dog_frassati »

gonefishing05 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:19 pm Wondering how likely a ski descent of Quandary's East Ridge would be in mid-march. I know itll be dependent on what the weather does, but is it commonly snow-covered enough that time of year or pretty hit/miss?
With some creativity we skied the east face last weekend, I've skied it in march as well
"A good decision yesterday doesn't absolve me from a bad decision today"
gonefishing05
14ers: 8  2 
13ers: 4 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gonefishing05 »

Jorts wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:50 pm Are you staying in Breck?

Crystal’s east face
Silverheels north side
Guyot’s north tongue
Peak 4
Peak 5
Sky Chutes on the other side
Victoria

A lot depends on avy conditions, snowpack, recent weather but at least one of these will be a good option and I’d consider all of them to be intermediate-ish.

Brent
Thanks for all of the recommendations. Ill look into all of those.

We will be winter camping (its become my trend the last number of years as a stingy midwesterner) so moving around isnt a huge chore as long as there is free camping to be found.

Trying to find the map that shows how far up from the parking lot i need to by quandary before I hit the dispersed camping now.

Thanks again.