Falcon Peak Closed

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Falcon Peak Closed

Post by JROSKA »

Just thought I’d share, in case there others here who like to hike Falcon Peak in Morrison. I went there today and surprisingly found it to be closed. There are signs citing excessive mud and ice as the reason.

No information on how long it will be closed, or how long it’s been closed. Just be aware that for the time being, the trails for Falcon Peak are closed to the public.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Falcon Peak Closed

Post by dwoodward13 »

In recent years, JeffCo has gotten more and more aggressive closing parks during the mud season. A few years ago, they would advise people to sick to hard surfaces or be on the trails when the mud is still frozen, but unsurprisingly asking nicely didn't really work. Seems each year they add closing another park to their mud closure list.

They are pretty vocal about closures on any of their social media accounts, and well as on the 'alerts and notices' section of their website. Looks like at the moment Apex, Matthews/Winters, Mount Falcon, White Ranch Park - East, Deer Creek, and Hildebrand Ranch all have mud closures. You can also sign up for open space alerts using the notify me link on the below website and selecting 'open space alerts'.
https://www.jeffco.us/1531/Alerts-Closures

Lakewood (Green Mountain) also has gotten more aggressive with closures in the last 2 or 3 years. They post conditions/closures on their website as well.
https://www.lakewood.org/Government/Dep ... n-Mountain
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DaveLanders »

Don't know about current closures, but Ft Collins, Loveland and Larimer County have all started doing the same thing in recent years. The trail surfaces were getting chewed up and then people would walk on the vegetation next to the trail to avoid the mud, which killed the vegetation and made the trails way wider than intended. A classic example of "we have met the enemy and they is us".
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

It's just the reality that you can't rely on asking people to do the right thing and so public officials have no recourse but close. Thankfully, mud season comes and goes pretty quickly and there are plenty of alternative places.
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

yes this is becoming a very regular thing. jeffco very proactive - especiallly compared to dougco - who doesn't seem to give a s**t

I blame mountain bikes in particular.
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

i'm actually really glad they started doing this a few years ago. some of those trails on the east side would get completed buggered off with really deep trenches after a big melt. yeah, it's annoying to show up and find a trail closed, but there's plenty of stuff to do if you have the time to drive 20 more minutes into the foothills.

i used to live about 4 miles from this park and was a very frequent visitor- i totally disagree with the blame being placed on MTB. it was hikers with mud-caked shoes pulling up the terrain
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

two lunches wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:03 am <snip> i totally disagree with the blame being placed on MTB. it was hikers with mud-caked shoes pulling up the terrain
Agreed - there is plenty of blame to go around amongst user groups. The blame really should fall on the morans, regardless of their preferred mode of travel.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

Blaming mountain bikers just makes sense though.
Maybe we can expand it to really blame the ebike crowd?
blazintoes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 327 3 73
Trip Reports (16)

Post by blazintoes »

SkaredShtles wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:16 am
two lunches wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:03 am <snip> i totally disagree with the blame being placed on MTB. it was hikers with mud-caked shoes pulling up the terrain
Agreed - there is plenty of blame to go around amongst user groups. The blame really should fall on the morans, regardless of their preferred mode of travel.
Blame the fargin iceholes
Attachments
83835E26-B159-4FF6-9DA9-0131F636404F.jpeg
83835E26-B159-4FF6-9DA9-0131F636404F.jpeg (275.91 KiB) Viewed 837 times
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

blazintoes wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:09 pm
SkaredShtles wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:16 am
Blame the fargin iceholes
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

jibler wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:43 am I blame mountain bikes in particular.
Most people do, especially those that don't know what they're talking about and want to yell at clouds. I'd estimate >95% of the tracks here in Fort Collins are foot prints and horse hooves.

On another topic, some snowshoeing dopes trashed the skin track at Montgomery bowls last week. This is where the finger should be pointed for the demise of society.
Make wilderness less accessible.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

I blame everybody doing a different activity than me.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin