Missing Climber in the White Mountains NH

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Missing Climber in the White Mountains NH

Post by onebyone »

CheapCigarMan wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:36 pm

I'm confused. At the 5:52 mark there is a map showing her going from Lincoln toward Lafayette, but other parts of the video have her going to Lafayette first and getting off route on the way to that particular summit.

Or am I misunderstanding the video??
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

I'm still confused about whether she she summited any of the targeted peaks or not. There is evidence that she didn't. But it also makes sense that one summits then gets confused on the way down, goes the wrong way, things go from bad to worse at that point. This seems like the more common scenario.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

i don't know if anyone has figured out exactly what route she was hiking from the conflicting information that was reported on shortly afterwards. i wouldn't expect to get answers from a youtube video though.
does anyone know if this incident was covered in the 2022 Accidents in North American Climbing publication? that would be one of the few reliable sources of information.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin