Running with key fobs

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
JohnnyLeadville
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Running with key fobs

Post by JohnnyLeadville »

I pull the fob off of the chain and leave the keys in the car. It is easy enough to carry.
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

cedica wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:18 am Y'all are just training AI here.

But the silver lining is that you *might* be able to tell your great- or grandchildren that you were alive back in the days when computers needed input from actual people to function.
bah! i'll just let some bot tell my grandchildren about that.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

mtree wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:10 am I'm pushing for 5 pages of nonsense, too.
This ranks up there with asking how to walk up a scree slope.
Does it, though?

Seems like there's a lot of opinions and also nuance that perhaps is over your head.
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

pvnisher wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:02 pm
mtree wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:10 am I'm pushing for 5 pages of nonsense, too.
This ranks up there with asking how to walk up a scree slope.
Does it, though?

Seems like there's a lot of opinions and also nuance that perhaps is over your head.
I’ve noticed in the dozens of times mtree has been roasted on this site, he never responds, acknowledges, or engages. I can only hope to gain that level of discipline in the forum.
terrysrunning
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 71
Trip Reports (0)

Post by terrysrunning »

I don't know how I missed this thread when it was new but I think it's a topic worth thinking about; and I don't really love any of the solutions I've read or tried so far.
I hate carrying the key with me because there have been too many instances of keys getting lost somewhere on the trail. People getting back to the car stranded, having to find a ride and way to reach a dealer or locksmith and having to pay several hundred dollars to get a new key sometimes days later when they can get a ride back to the car. F that.
When I had a mechanical key I would leave it in my hitch-safe. Can't leave the fob with the proximity function there because it'll unlock the car.
I even bought a Faraday case for the fob, but then it's too bulky to fit into the hitch safe.
I have lost keys out of my flip belt before. I definitely don't trust that at all.
I've heard you might be able to wrap it in aluminum foil but I don't know if I'd trust that.
I just Googled it and found a couple more ideas though. One is to take the battery out of the fob when you leave it. Depending on how hard the battery is to remove or put back, could be a good idea.
And now there are boxes designed especially to put your key fob in and block the signal. According to the specs online, they should fit in the hitch safe. They're 42 bucks but better than losing a key.
"My life is dope, and I do dope s**t" -Kanye
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

Lets be real, running with a key fab isn’t the hard part. It’s going to the restaurant after the run. Just ask Mr Winter himself, Chris Fisher.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

I hate key fobs.

After South Maroon last year, Green Onion dropped me off at my vehicle in the Buttermilk park n ride. My doors wouldn't unlock as they should've, and my fob wasn't in the usual place that I put it. So, Green Onion had to drive me all the way up to Snowmass Village to get my spare fob and then back down to the Buttermilk Park n Ride. I was so drained from the whole ordeal, that I proceeded to make a hard right out of the parking lot, forgetting that there was a nice barricade right next to
my vehicle. Proceeded to put a nice dent in the passenger side door. Back at Snowmass Village, my wife found the fob somewhere deep in the bowels of my backpack. I still have the dent in the door to remind myself that I'm an idiot.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

I lost my spare truck key when I moved in 2906. I found it a couple weeks ago in a Star Wars collector movie box, but I no longer own the truck.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"