Best 13er Scrambles & Link-ups

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
zootloopz
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 142
Trip Reports (4)

Best 13er Scrambles & Link-ups

Post by zootloopz »

Helllllllooooo everyone!

I'm currently researching ridges and link-ups between bicentennials and I was curious... does anyone have any favorite / recommended 13er combos or routes from the non-centennial 13ers?

I'm a big fan of class 4 / low 5th. Exposure is fun.
If it doesn't include scrambling, I'm still a big fan of tundra walks with flower potential and summit views.

These do not have to be bicentennials -- any ranked 13ers connecting to any other ranked 13ers would be great to learn more about. Especially less traveled ridgelines and wilderness areas.
IG @roughlysomewhere

one step at a time // you are exactly where you need to be in this moment
k_fergie
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 160 34 6
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Best 13er Scrambles & Link-ups

Post by k_fergie »

Peters Traverse fits the bill. Remote wilderness, good flowers, scramble factor doesn't push into the 5th class realm, though. Super cool rocks are a great substitute. An excellent reason to go in to Rock Creek and you could also get bicentennial Oso (which I thought was a terrible talus fest and certainly wouldn't do again) while you're there. I wrote a short TR on it this fall. Supranihilest wrote a great one.
I thought, I taught, I wrought
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 180 39 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

trinity traverse was one of my favorites
GregMiller
14ers: 37  4  1 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (5)

Post by GregMiller »

Helen -> Father Dyer -> as far as you feel like going.
Still Here
been scared and battered. My hopes the wind done scattered. Snow has friz me, Sun has baked me,
Looks like between 'em they done Tried to make me
Stop laughin', stop lovin', stop livin'-- But I don't care! I'm still here!
Langston Hughes
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

k_fergie wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:23 pm Peters Traverse fits the bill. Remote wilderness, good flowers, scramble factor doesn't push into the 5th class realm, though. Super cool rocks are a great substitute. An excellent reason to go in to Rock Creek and you could also get bicentennial Oso (which I thought was a terrible talus fest and certainly wouldn't do again) while you're there. I wrote a short TR on it this fall. Supranihilest wrote a great one.
Seconded. Also Storm King - Nine - Silex - Guardian, which you could do from the same basecamp.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 104 14 5
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Jorts »

Here's some Goreganzola for you:

UP (Rockinghorse Ridge)
CDEFG (Ripsaw)
VW (Punchbuggy)
XYZZ'
LMNO
QRST

Northern Gore is more solid than southern me thinks. And west approaches are shorter than east. Oh, and no clue what's ranked and what is not... it's all pretty cool.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

No 13ers, but the best Ridge scramble I have done in CO is probably the Sawtooth Range Traverse.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 264 22
Trip Reports (21)

Post by yaktoleft13 »

-Billy traverse (Williams Group)
-west apostle to north (skip the standard route, take the lake ann trail to the pass, then run the ridge all the way to wear from there)
-thatchtop (12er) to Powell to McHenrys
-hassell to pettingell to citadel
-Trinities
-vermillion to golden horn to pilot knob
-Monitor to thirteen to animas

Watching this thread too, always love to see what other people recommend to get some ideas
Last edited by yaktoleft13 on Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Haven't actually done this one yet but an obscure one that got added to my to-do list after stumbling across it while researching possible winter 13ers in the Sangres is:

Little Horn - Fluted - Horn (3 ranked 13ers).

supranihilest has a TR about it here:
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/triprepo ... trip=20099
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (113)

Post by supranihilest »

So this is still very much a work in progress, but try some of the 4- or 5-star routes I've got on my master 13er spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing. Date will dictate snow or dry conditions. Some are snow routes and scrambles. :)
zootloopz
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 142
Trip Reports (4)

Post by zootloopz »

Hi all,

Thank you all for your suggestions and feedback! There are some excellent options in here!

@k_fergie -- Peters Traverse looks excellent. Was planning to hit Oso in a day from Pine River via seano's suggestion in one of his trip reports, but might have to pack in so to get at some more peaks in there.

@Mtnman200 -- I very much appreciate the trip report links. Very much looking forward to the Island Lake peaks.

@Jorts -- Everything in the Gore is high on my list. Haven't been out there yet so I'm excited for a brand new range! Will probably start with Ripsaw.

@yaktoleft13 -- Billy Traverse wasn't even on my radar, but now it isssss

@daway8 -- I've seen this mentioned multiple times now so consider my interest piqued. Especially if I can combine this while I'm down that way with the Music Pass 13ers and/or Cottonwood to Electric.

@supranihilest -- Thank you especially for the detailed spreadsheet with reflective ratings. I will be aggregating the 3+ star routes and taking a closer look. Your trip report on hitting Silver & 13,681 is what inspired this thread.
IG @roughlysomewhere

one step at a time // you are exactly where you need to be in this moment