Ryan Phillippe has Summit Fever

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
docinco
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Ryan Phillippe has Summit Fever

Post by docinco »

in case you run into someone who has a rope and no rack.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Neat, seems like a win-win for everyone:

Popcorn-and-beer action flick where you can stare at mountain scenery (that's where I'll be) :cartman:
Real and online mountaineers can snicker at inaccuracies and "Well ackshually" amongst themselves.
General non-outdoorsy audience will maintain or increase perception that owning ice axe, crampons etc. and even hiking in winter makes a person extreme.
mikefromcraig
14ers: 53  24 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (15)

Post by mikefromcraig »

Scott P wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:23 am Lol. Why would you carry a climbing rack if you don't have a rope?
It makes noise when you walk to scare off bears.
"I don't believe anyone who says they would prefer to die on a mountain in their 30s than in a hospital in their 90s."
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

That trailer gives me anxiety.
But the comments make me want to rewatch Vertical Limit, which I haven't seen since it was in theaters when I was in middle school lol
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
Been_Jammin
14ers: 58  1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Been_Jammin »

This movie finally came out on Hulu. Def giving Vertical Limit competition for the best worst climbing movie.
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

I watched it, kind of, a few weeks ago on DVD. Dumb, everyone gets killed all the time, but some really nice mountain photography, so watch for the nice cinematography.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Been_Jammin
14ers: 58  1  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Been_Jammin »

There is a scene where the main character is following a pitch on the Eiger and falls... Takes a huuuuge whipper. I'm 95% sure they show him being belayed in guide mode (which would of auto blocked). There is another scene where a main character is coiling a rope in the background... hilarious.

Honestly, the climbing in this movie looked fairly legitimate. Gear, anchors, movement etc all looked descent.

Spoiler alert: Ryan Phillippe doesn't make it to the summit :(
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Been_Jammin wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:26 pm This movie finally came out on Hulu. Def giving Vertical Limit competition for the best worst climbing movie.
What do you think the best climbing/mountaineering movies are? (not being sarcastic, honestly curious to see if I've missed any)
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

i enjoyed touching the void, and also thought meru was good.
i have not seen the alpinist, the dawn wall, or solo, but have had others recommend all 3.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

nyker wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:43 am What do you think the best climbing/mountaineering movies are? (not being sarcastic, honestly curious to see if I've missed any)
Higher Ambitions is really good.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
pw
14ers: 45 
13ers: 70
Trip Reports (1)

Post by pw »

nyker wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:43 am
Been_Jammin wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:26 pm This movie finally came out on Hulu. Def giving Vertical Limit competition for the best worst climbing movie.
What do you think the best climbing/mountaineering movies are? (not being sarcastic, honestly curious to see if I've missed any)
I liked K2. Did a good job capturing how egotistical or self-centered some mountaineers can be.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pwahl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

I haven't seen it - but this naomi watts Infinite Storm looks pretty dumb

if only for how not realistic the east coast mtns look in trailer?

Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer