North Massive?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

North Massive?

Post by nunns »

I was reading Andrew Hamilton's synopsis of winter 14ers history and he mentioned North Massive. I know that Roach mentions Massive having something like 7 subpeaks, but I kind of thought that all but the top one lacked enough prominence for most people to take the others seriously. Is North Massive now becoming part of a typical 14ers climbers list?

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 264 22
Trip Reports (21)

Re: North Massive?

Post by yaktoleft13 »

No. It's traditionally climbed as part of the winter 14ers because some guy one time decided to do it, but is not a 14er, and one's a finisher in any season if they climb all 58 and not North Massive
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (113)

Post by supranihilest »

"North Massive" is map soft-ranked and LiDAR unranked. People climb it more in winter because Aron Ralston did but overall it's not that great of a peak and people can safely ignore it. There are far better unranked 14er sub-summits or lower peaks to climb.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

yaktoleft13 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:03 am No. It's traditionally climbed as part of the winter 14ers because some guy one time decided to do it, but is not a 14er, and one's a finisher in any season if they climb all 58 and not North Massive
El Diente and Challenger Point actually have less prominence than North Massive (less isolation too). So if those are important to you, on paper, North Massive may be important, too.
the_hare
14ers: 25  21 
13ers: 21 2
Trip Reports (6)

Post by the_hare »

As far as I understand it, the 3rd winter 14er finisher Aron Ralston climbed N Massive in winter and Steve Gladbach, the 4th finisher, considered that as upping the ante for winter 14ers. He wrote this in his TR for his finisher: https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/tripreport.php?trip=9674
"The current "Game"

If you want to follow the precedent set by Mereness, Bock, Ralston (also Nolan and Burleson who are still playing), this is how they did it. If you want to play a different game, you'll get no criticism from me; however, this is how it's been done thus far!

First, of course, you must summit all of Colorado's 59 fourteeners in winter. Aron set the current precedent of counting 59 fourteeners in the winter quest. Mereness and Bock climbed 58 (That is 53 ranked + 5 unranked.) Aron further added North Massive, a not-too-difficult, soft-ranked 14er that only recently has gained popularity."

Sounds like other ppl were interested in climbing N Massive at the time as an unranked 14er. I think because Steve was such a beloved & influential figure in the 14er community other winter finishers followed his lead. I appreciate it in that sense, to me it frames completing this winter 14er list as part of a communal tradition instead of an isolated individual project.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

supranihilest wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:06 am "North Massive" is map soft-ranked and LiDAR unranked. b.
Clarification: Since there is LiDAR coverage for that peak, it is no longer soft ranked. Peaks with LiDAR coverage have to have a 299' rise to be soft ranked.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (113)

Post by supranihilest »

Scott P wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:26 am
supranihilest wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:06 am "North Massive" is map soft-ranked and LiDAR unranked. b.
Clarification: Since there is LiDAR coverage for that peak, it is no longer soft ranked. Peaks with LiDAR coverage have to have a 299' rise to be soft ranked.
That's what I said, just in more words. #-o
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

I have no opinion on North Massive when it comes to list inclusions. However, if you are doing the Centennials, Mount Oklahoma->North Massive->Massive Green->Mount Massive is a fun loop.
Skimo95
14ers: 58  13  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

HikerGuy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:12 pm I have no opinion on North Massive when it comes to list inclusions. However, if you are doing the Centennials, Mount Oklahoma->North Massive->Massive Green->Mount Massive is a fun loop.
The most informative post yet. Thanks for this HikerGuy, seems an OK repeat will be in the books. I’ll probably complete the snowflakes, and don’t really give a s**t whether I do or don’t summit N Massive. That being said the pioneers prior have nothing but respect and admiration from myself.
Last edited by Skimo95 on Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by madmattd »

HikerGuy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:12 pm I have no opinion on North Massive when it comes to list inclusions. However, if you are doing the Centennials, Mount Oklahoma->North Massive->Massive Green->Mount Massive is a fun loop.
Need to put this on my list to look into, looks neat. (Bonus for not descending the scree slope on Oklahoma!)
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Oklahoma to Hunter-Fryingpan Wilderness HP (and the mania of Massive after) is a great traverse. I wish the rest of the ridge on the divide there was of the same quality.
IMG_6276-1024x535.jpg
IMG_6276-1024x535.jpg (245.53 KiB) Viewed 558 times
andrewhamilton
14ers: 58  2  58 
13ers: 95
Trip Reports (3)

Post by andrewhamilton »

madmattd wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:17 pm Need to put this on my list to look into, looks neat. (Bonus for not descending the scree slope on Oklahoma!)
From massive i looked at the ridge-line from Oklahoma heading north and I thought it looked easy. It was surprisingly spicy! Definitely not what i expected. A fun sawatch route for sure!

Also i don’t think North Massive’s a bad summit i actually think it’s kind of cool. That comment in my trip report was just my annoyance at how it became “required”. Seemed arbitrary, but i guess that’s not a bad reason if we are following in the footsteps of Aron Ralston and Steve Gladbach.