A/T tire recommendations?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Re: A/T tire recommendations?

Post by Conor »

Michelin makes the best tire. I spent 4 grueling years busting tires in high school and college. Fewer Michelins came back with issues than any other tire. A lesson my parents never learned. If Michelin has a tire in your size and fits the use you desire, you wont go wrong with it.
John_Duke
14ers: 33  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by John_Duke »

After running BFGs on my Explorer as well as my F150, I just started running Toyo AT-2s and they surpass them in every characteristic.
Each fresh peak ascended teaches something - Sir Martin Convay
SolarAlex
14ers: 35  13  5 
13ers: 92 23 5
Trip Reports (21)

Post by SolarAlex »

cooper st maxx has been the shiz on my tacoma....40k miles on them and they are starting to show wear but still have been fine in all kinds of weather . Great off road performance too.
Vincit Qui Patitur
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

I am on my 2nd set of Goodyear DuraTrac tires. I was never a goodyear fan, but the 4Runner forum had very good reviews on this tire. I did 17 14ers last year and this tire had no problems getting to the 4wd trailhead on every peak. I drive 420 miles a week commuting to work, the tire is smooth on the road and still works well offroad and in the snow.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-duratrac

Good luck,
Bill
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

Nokian Rotiva ATs are what I am using right now. They blow the Michelin stock tires I had on my truck out of the water. I also like the fact that I paid a lot less than what I was going to pay for Coopers. They are great on the ice, slush, and snow in Pb. I have not tested them on mud or rocks.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE
dubsho3000
14ers: 58  8  2 
13ers: 110 14
Trip Reports (6)

Post by dubsho3000 »

crestone14ers wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:38 pm Most people don't know that the BFG TAKO2 tires are undergoing a complete reevaluation and update scheduled for 4th quarter 2018. There have been a number of problems with excessive wear and issues with wet pavement grip. I'm in a closely associated industry and was shared this info recently as I'm in the market for tires, most probably my usual Michelins.
Reviving an old thread here. I'm considering buying some BFG TAKO2s and I'm wondering if the redesign has changed the snow/slush performance of the tires. I'm looking at putting them on a lifted Sienna van primarily for summer trips to Colorado trailheads and spring/fall trips to the four corners desert areas. BUT, they'll probably get some winter road trip action as well to ski areas (Utah, Wyoming, the usual).

Curious on thoughts and recommendations. I'm sure a lot could change in 5 years...
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montanahiker »

I'll probably be in the market by the end of the year. My 4Runner currently has Yokohama Geolandars but they've worn faster than I expected. What's everyone driving on these days?
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

I'm losing my Wrangler Duratrac fanboy-ness. Load C on my Tacoma, tread is shot after <30k miles despite religious adherence to rotating every 5k, they've needed rebalancing five times in those miles and have been getting super loud as the tread wears. They are fantastic on snow when tread is fresh tho...

I'll be switching to something new when I go up to 285s next, not sure what. Maybe back to BFG Kbro2s.
Make wilderness less accessible.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Dave B wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:35 am I'm losing my Wrangler Duratrac fanboy-ness. Load C on my Tacoma, tread is shot after <30k miles despite religious adherence to rotating every 5k, they've needed rebalancing five times in those miles and have been getting super loud as the tread wears. They are fantastic on snow when tread is fresh tho...

I'll be switching to something new when I go up to 285s next, not sure what. Maybe back to BFG Kbro2s.
I have the (Goodyear) Wrangler Duratracs too, going on 45,000+ miles and still have life. But they're cupped a little, even with 5000 mile rotation. Toyota told me with an aggressive tread like that, it's better to do a 2000-2500 mile rotation.
I will likely buy these again, regardless. I've been happy with traction getting to TH's and in snowy roads in winter.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

dubsho3000 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:58 am
crestone14ers wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:38 pm Most people don't know that the BFG TAKO2 tires are undergoing a complete reevaluation and update scheduled for 4th quarter 2018. There have been a number of problems with excessive wear and issues with wet pavement grip. I'm in a closely associated industry and was shared this info recently as I'm in the market for tires, most probably my usual Michelins.
Reviving an old thread here. I'm considering buying some BFG TAKO2s and I'm wondering if the redesign has changed the snow/slush performance of the tires. I'm looking at putting them on a lifted Sienna van primarily for summer trips to Colorado trailheads and spring/fall trips to the four corners desert areas. BUT, they'll probably get some winter road trip action as well to ski areas (Utah, Wyoming, the usual).

Curious on thoughts and recommendations. I'm sure a lot could change in 5 years...
I switched to the BFG T/A K02's about 2 years ago. Man, super satisfied customer here. I do 4wd stuff every year, nothing super hard but also not tame gravel road stuff. Zero complaints there. But their baptism by fire was on a trip to Washakie Needle up in WY, over the top challenging (for me...) mud & rock slip slide-fest. The peak was great but the driving was even more memorable! :lol: I am a huge fan of those tires. Snow/ice performance seems good, no complaints, but it was all just packed snow and the occasional spot of ice on paved roads. My .02.

-Tom
zootloopz
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 142
Trip Reports (4)

Post by zootloopz »

2021 Tacoma here running 265/75/16 Falken Wildpeak AT3s

I was able to claim a manufacturers mileage warranty at 38,000 miles via Discount Tire. Netted me a $298 credit towards new tires.
This was possible because all 4 tires were between 3/32" and 4/32" which is the range for mileage warranty replacements / credit with a 55,000 mile warranty.
On top of this I was able to price match with Discount Tire to get them down to $192/ea. Totaled $612 after taxes and installation fees with the price match and mileage credit applied.

The above is just of note for anyone looking to save money on their tires over their time, especially if they wear them prematurely with a bunch of gravel and 4x4 road driving.

Despite the premature wear (that I'm okay with because of the mileage credit) the AT3s have performed really well in all the conditions I've tested. 3 snowflake rated and all that jazz. No slips in the rain. Quiet. Look pretty much just as cool as the KO2s. Just consider this a vote for the AT3s.

The other ones I was considering were the Hankook Dynapro AT2s. Apparently better for ice than the Falken's, but I decided to stick with the devil I know.
IG @roughlysomewhere

one step at a time // you are exactly where you need to be in this moment
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I've liked the Nitto Grappler, the original Terra model which is especially good in snow. They have some more aggressive models which might be better in mud or have thicker knobs but you may sacrifice performance on snowy roads.