North Massive?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: North Massive?

Post by greenonion »

andrewhamilton wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:48 pm
madmattd wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:17 pm Need to put this on my list to look into, looks neat. (Bonus for not descending the scree slope on Oklahoma!)
From massive i looked at the ridge-line from Oklahoma heading north and I thought it looked easy. It was surprisingly spicy! Definitely not what i expected. A fun sawatch route for sure!

Also i don’t think North Massive’s a bad summit i actually think it’s kind of cool. That comment in my trip report was just my annoyance at how it became “required”. Seemed arbitrary, but i guess that’s not a bad reason if we are following in the footsteps of Aron Ralston and Steve Gladbach.
And who wouldn’t want to cruise across a handful of summits, including north massive, above 14k feet on one hike? Was a blast when I did it in 2001!
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by madmattd »

madmattd wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:17 pm Need to put this on my list to look into, looks neat. (Bonus for not descending the scree slope on Oklahoma!)
From massive i looked at the ridge-line from Oklahoma heading north and I thought it looked easy. It was surprisingly spicy! Definitely not what i expected. A fun sawatch route for sure!
Noted!
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

madmattd wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:17 pm
HikerGuy wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:12 pm I have no opinion on North Massive when it comes to list inclusions. However, if you are doing the Centennials, Mount Oklahoma->North Massive->Massive Green->Mount Massive is a fun loop.
Need to put this on my list to look into, looks neat. (Bonus for not descending the scree slope on Oklahoma!)
i would actually go so far as to say i had fun surfing down that slope with spikes. it was definitely more of a nuisance going up-- but even still, that part was over pretty quick. what felt longer was navigating the boulders above the "grassy" (seriously, bill?) slope. looking back i complained more than i should have on that hike. it was really beautiful and very quiet back there
would i do it again? well, it took much longer than we expected, so if i adjusted my expectations, yeah. i would probably re-peak. plus that sounds like a fun traverse with good weather (as long as i'm not ascending the SW slopes of Massive with the current Strava record holder, looking at you climbingcue)
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Marmot72 »

Like most 14er finishers, I did Massive in summer. As a summer hike, it was nice to have solitude hitting N Massive, continuing to Massive Green (ludicrous that it’s a named point) and only deal with the crowds between Massive and S Massive. Just a nice loop (if not doing a more ambitious loop to include Oklahoma).
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

Also i don’t think North Massive’s a bad summit i actually think it’s kind of cool. That comment in my trip report was just my annoyance at how it became “required”. Seemed arbitrary, but i guess that’s not a bad reason if we are following in the footsteps of Aron Ralston and Steve Gladbach.
Andrew Hamilton: "spicy" = most of the rest of us: "terrifying".
Didn't you do the Bell Cord in the dark and sleep deprived? :)

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6