Longs Peak- Keyhole Route in Late June

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pctjeff23
Trip Reports (0)

Longs Peak- Keyhole Route in Late June

Post by pctjeff23 »

Hi, I am thinking about climbing Longs Peak via Keyhole the last week of June to avoid crowds in the peak season. I would do a camp at the Boulder Field. I understand that this is classified as a technical climb prior to mid-July and presents additional dangers. I am trying to get a gauge on the expected degree of difficulty and how to train properly. My mountaineering experience is limited to a group climb with ropes on Mount Hood. I have basic knowledge of how to use an ice axe and crampons from that climb. My class 3 experience in summer conditions is Mount Wilson, El Diente, Wilson Peak, Snowmass Mountain via East Slopes, Quandry via West Ridge, and Torreys via Kelso Ridge. Considering this experience, how big of a jump in degree of difficulty and risk would Longs via Keyhole be in late June? Is a rope necessary and is it likely that the route markings would be hidden by snow? Are there any particular 14er snow climbs in late May or early June that would help me prepare and increase my skill level with ice axe and crampons? I was thinking either Mt of the Holy Cross via Cross Couloir or Mt Shavano via Angel of Shavano.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Re: Longs Peak- Keyhole Route in Late June

Post by justiner »

No ropes needed, probably some of the bullseyes may be under snow. Your resume is fine. Angel of Shavano would be a good snow climb shakeout - Cross Couloir would be a harder day (in a day) IMHO and maybe with a backpack in somewhat comparable, though I think the Couloir is harder than anything on the Keyhole route - it's been a while, but that thing seemed steep.

The crux will be the camping at such a high camp at the Boulderfield. It can get cold/windy.
Wimyers
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 8 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Wimyers »

My first 14er (and also my first time outside) was Long’s peak the last week of June 2016 and it was dry and crowded. Every year is different, but I’m sure you’ll be fine.
pctjeff23
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pctjeff23 »

Thanks justiner and Wimyers.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

There are some nice couloirs on James peak, and Skywalker on Douth Arapahoe is a LOT of fun.