A/T tire recommendations?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Re: A/T tire recommendations?

Post by nmjameswilson »

I am surprised these have not been mentioned but I love the Falken Wildpeak AT3 .

I used to put the KOs on my Tundra but they wore out quickly so I switch to the Falkens and they are so much better.
I storm chase as a hobby and the chasing community now has a lot of people using the Falkens as they are great in rain and mud.
I would check them out man ... you will not be disappointed.
sfreytag
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by sfreytag »

KO2s have my vote. Had KOs and KO2s on 3 different vehicles (est. 115K miles driven) and they are great. I've had about 5-6 flat tires in my life but never had one on a KO/KO2. Perfect blend of off-road and snow performance.

Another A/T option is the BFG HD-Terrain T/A KT. This tire is coming out on 4/1/23. Sounds like a great A/T for full size rigs and trucks. Sidewall looks like a KO2 and the tread looks more like the KM3. Think I'm going to give these a shot on my Ram 2500 when the current KO2s are done.
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

merrion13 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:00 am Seems like the 14ers forum is a good place for this question, since regular driving in Colorado is very different than a lot of other places.

Need new tires for our daily-driver mountain car (Grand Cherokee). Gets used around town and commuting during the week, then long stretches of highway into backcountry roads. I've had the Toyo Open Country AT2 which I liked, but curious what other folks recommend based on similar use patterns. I'm not a fan of the BFG's, drove them in I-70 slush and they were awful. I run dedicated snow tires so I don't need them to be snowflake rated.

What do people like for typical Colorado driving?
I also really like the Toyo Open Country AT2s. I put them on my 4runner this past fall and they performed admirably in a couple big snow storms so far. I haven't gotten them on any rock yet, but I'm looking forward to testing them this summer a bit.

For reference, I have 285-70/17 and I got the C-ply.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

sfreytag wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:45 am KO2s have my vote. Had KOs and KO2s on 3 different vehicles (est. 115K miles driven) and they are great. I've had about 5-6 flat tires in my life but never had one on a KO/KO2. Perfect blend of off-road and snow performance.

Another A/T option is the BFG HD-Terrain T/A KT. This tire is coming out on 4/1/23. Sounds like a great A/T for full size rigs and trucks. Sidewall looks like a KO2 and the tread looks more like the KM3. Think I'm going to give these a shot on my Ram 2500 when the current KO2s are done.
Wow very similar experience here. Have had them on a V8 4Runner, V6 4Runner 5th gen, and a 100 series Land Cruiser. About 150k combined miles. No flats or issues with cupping etc.

I had no idea they were coming out with that new tire. I’m going to give those a try as well. My vehicles weighs 7500-8000 lbs depending on season, those may be better suited for what I do than the KO2’s.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

For the less off-road capable SUV vehicle folk looking to improve traction and durability, I've been really pleased with the BFGoodrich Trail-Terrain T/A tire. It is much better than the Yokohama Geolandar A/T tire that I had before.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

climbingcue wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:18 am I am on my 2nd set of Goodyear DuraTrac tires. I was never a goodyear fan, but the 4Runner forum had very good reviews on this tire. I did 17 14ers last year and this tire had no problems getting to the 4wd trailhead on every peak. I drive 420 miles a week commuting to work, the tire is smooth on the road and still works well offroad and in the snow.

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-duratrac

Good luck,
Bill
DuraTrac's or bust. there is no better tire and i'll die on this hill
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
trailboss88
14ers: 53  8 
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (0)

Post by trailboss88 »

I'm on my third set of Falken Wildpeak AT3s. Phenomenal in snow. Quiet on the highway. Good on dirt/rock but clog up with mud easily since not a MT. Only got about 35k out of my last set but for the price I'll take it. I've had Michelin AT tires too which lasted longer but not quite as aggressive.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

Well I'm having to replace my Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar tires at 33k, instead of the rated 60k. Pretty disappointed on that.

Thinking about swapping to Hantook Dynapro AT2
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche