Winter 14ers record attempt?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 12 5
Trip Reports (11)

Re: Winter 14ers record attempt?

Post by Jorts »

Seems notable that the only two single season frozen 14er finishers did it in a very low snow year and a very high snow year.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
fepic1
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 170 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by fepic1 »

WRONG. Its not notable. They both followed the rules. Started and finished calendar winter.
No one new it could be done, until Andrew did it first. Amazing accomplishment!!!
surly1today
Trip Reports (0)

Post by surly1today »

Jorts wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:36 pm Seems notable that the only two single season frozen 14er finishers did it in a very low snow year and a very high snow year.
fepic1 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:22 pm WRONG. Its not notable. They both followed the rules. Started and finished calendar winter.
No one new it could be done, until Andrew did it first. Amazing accomplishment!!!
Seems notable that one is a prophet and had an advantage. True or false?
And the other rolled the dice prior to winter and took what came his way.
Who is who?

Either way you slice it, Jortsey, both seasons were fuckin' epic.
fepic1
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 170 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by fepic1 »

yep! No prophets or crystal balls for anyone that attempts this in one year
YOU JUST GO FOR IT. Pick a year
Huge balls most likely made of Brass are what's needed. Throw away the ones of crystal
So many more factors involved than just snow.
Jorts
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Jorts »

surly1today wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:56 pm
Jorts wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:36 pm Seems notable that the only two single season frozen 14er finishers did it in a very low snow year and a very high snow year.
fepic1 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 3:22 pm WRONG. Its not notable. They both followed the rules. Started and finished calendar winter.
Seems notable that one is a prophet and had an advantage. True or false?
And the other rolled the dice prior to winter and took what came his way.
Who is who?

Either way you slice it, Jortsey, both seasons were fuckin' epic.
Wow. Who are you dismissive goofballs? Not sure if either season was more of an advantage than the other. Chris got big stability for easy skiing in the SJs where Andrew was slogging (21 hours in Chicago Basin vs 36 hours for Andrew). But Chris encountered brutal weather and snowpack conditions in the Elks.

Really low snow has less slide hazard but a really deep snowpack does too.

What am I wrong about exactly you jackass troll?

By the way, Chris stayed at my place while he was down here in the SJs and I joined him for the skin out of Chi Basin and for Sneffels. Not sure what you were getting at with your response.
surly1today
Trip Reports (0)

Post by surly1today »

Jorts wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:27 pm
By the way, Chris stayed at my place while he was down here in the SJs and I joined him for the skin out of Chi Basin and for Sneffels.
:iluvu: That's cute. What does that have to do with it?
I might be a goofball and a jackass, but I think I misinterpreted your first response. It read like you were making that comparison that's been made before. "Andrew had it so easy because it was a low snow year" bs argument.
You did not go in depth in your post, so, open to different interpretation. Sorry....you just seemed to be dismissive just as much as, me??
Have a good day, Jorts.
andrewhamilton
14ers: 58  2  58 
13ers: 95
Trip Reports (3)

Post by andrewhamilton »

Hey Jorts, I’m not sure if you know this but one of the things that happened after my winter 14ers adventure in 2018 was certain individuals came out basically saying that what i accomplished was not impressive because of the low snow year. Anyway, i would get annoyed over the years when the topic would come up and basically have to defend myself by saying hey, it was still hard!

And it was hard!

So i really believe that both surly and fepic were defending me because it almost sounded like your message was hinting at that topic again. (By the way thanks guys i do appreciate when people understand that it was hard even in a low snow year) I don’t think they were trolling you at all.

So anyway, i think it’s really cool that Chris got to do this in a high snow year, that’s definitely some huge bragging rights right there! And you got to join on the Chicago basin trip that’s awesome, i would have loved to see Chicago basin and the Wilson’s in these conditions.
Jorts
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Jorts »

surly1today wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:51 pm
Jorts wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:27 pm
By the way, Chris stayed at my place while he was down here in the SJs and I joined him for the skin out of Chi Basin and for Sneffels.
:iluvu: That's cute. What does that have to do with it?
I might be a goofball and a jackass, but I think I misinterpreted your first response. It read like you were making that comparison that's been made before. "Andrew had it so easy because it was a low snow year" bs argument.
You did not go in depth in your post, so, open to different interpretation. Sorry....you just seemed to be dismissive just as much as, me??
Have a good day, Jorts.
The reason I mentioned that is to attempt to support that I'm not just some armchair QB idiot criticizing Chris and Andrew from the sidelines - as it seems my initial comment was immediately misunderstood by you two. I remember when Chris started, some were implying Andrew had it easier with low snow. That's absurd. Low snow means less skiing and more slogging. Oof.

To anyone who does not ski, it might have initially seemed that big snow is a disadvantage. Chris flipped that assumption on its head.

Anyway, back to my original comment... it's notable because the right person can do it in low snow or big snow. It's a misperception that these mountains can and should only be done in the winter in low snow.
Jorts
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Jorts »

andrewhamilton wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:58 pm Hey Jorts, I’m not sure if you know this but one of the things that happened after my winter 14ers adventure in 2018 was certain individuals came out basically saying that what i accomplished was not impressive because of the low snow year. Anyway, i would get annoyed over the years when the topic would come up and basically have to defend myself by saying hey, it was still hard!

And it was hard!

So i really believe that both surly and fepic were defending me because it almost sounded like your message was hinting at that topic again. (By the way thanks guys i do appreciate when people understand that it was hard even in a low snow year) I don’t think they were trolling you at all.

So anyway, i think it’s really cool that Chris got to do this in a high snow year, that’s definitely some huge bragging rights right there! And you got to join on the Chicago basin trip that’s awesome, i would have loved to see Chicago basin and the Wilson’s in these conditions.
That's not what I was implying at all... actually the opposite. I told Chris back in January, "we're getting a lot of snow... eventually you'll have a stability window... and you'll be able to just ski it all!"
surly1today
Trip Reports (0)

Post by surly1today »

Jorts wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:08 pm Anyway, back to my original comment... it's notable because the right person can do it in low snow or big snow. It's a misperception that these mountains can and should only be done in the winter in low snow.
=D>
Thanks for the addendum.
andrewhamilton
14ers: 58  2  58 
13ers: 95
Trip Reports (3)

Post by andrewhamilton »

Jorts wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:10 pm That's not what I was implying at all... actually the opposite.
Thanks man, I appreciate that! And also you are right it is cool that Chis did it this year because he showed that it can be done, and done well in lots of snow!
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Article in Summit Daily on Chris' winter feat...

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/the-jo ... er-season/