Notification mania

If you have a problem with a non-forum page of the site, please post here so I can take a look. I appreciate being notified so I can make it right. -Bill M.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Notification mania

Post by daway8 »

Bill - help! I'm drowning in notifications - did you accidentally disable some obscure notifications setting? Anyone else getting massively spammed with notifications from this site today?

I typically find maybe 3 or 4 notifications from 14ers.com when I get home saying that such and such a topic received a new reply and then it ends with "No more emails will be sent until you visit the topic." That's normally handy for knowing if I missed some action while busy at work.

Well today I wasn't on the site at all and came home to like 50 or more notifications. Each still ended with "No more emails will be sent until you visit the topic" but today that wasn't the case - each and every comment on each and every every thread spawned a new email (including the ones with excessive pointless bickering that I should probably unfollow anyways, but that's another subject...).
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Notification mania

Post by greenonion »

daway8 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:06 pm Bill - help! I'm drowning in notifications - did you accidentally disable some obscure notifications setting? Anyone else getting massively spammed with notifications from this site today?

I typically find maybe 3 or 4 notifications from 14ers.com when I get home saying that such and such a topic received a new reply and then it ends with "No more emails will be sent until you visit the topic." That's normally handy for knowing if I missed some action while busy at work.

Well today I wasn't on the site at all and came home to like 50 or more notifications. Each still ended with "No more emails will be sent until you visit the topic" but today that wasn't the case - each and every comment on each and every every thread spawned a new email (including the ones with excessive pointless bickering that I should probably unfollow anyways, but that's another subject...).
Yes. I got an email today notifying of a PM from 3/21/23. That’s the only one I’ve noticed so far.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

I got an email today that notified me about a pm that I got over a week ago.
daway8
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

d_baker wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:13 pm I got an email today that notified me about a pm that I got over a week ago.
Hmmm, yes, after scanning over the 50 some notifications I see many are from threads that haven't been active for multiple days.

Maybe Bill's getting an early start on April Fool's Day? :lol:
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

d_baker wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:13 pm I got an email today that notified me about a pm that I got over a week ago.
So did I. The notification was for a PM from 3/16/2023 that I already received notification for on 3/16/2023.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Not sure what's going on but I'm looking...
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Did you guys all get these emails after 5pm today?
I got one too and I'm trying to figure out why the canned (phpBB) forum software resent old notifications. Could be an AI-induced uprising.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
k_fergie
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 160 34 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by k_fergie »

I got a handful of emails at 4:56 PM today, so almost 5PM
I thought, I taught, I wrought
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

Yup, it looks like their stupid software did something weird just before 5. Thanks

I'll check again in the morning to make sure it's done barfing...
daway8
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:47 pm Could be an AI-induced uprising.
I knew it!!! :lol:

Yep, my flurry was from 4:57pm to 5:11pm; 51 messages during that window.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:47 pm Did you guys all get these emails after 5pm today?
I got one too and I'm trying to figure out why the canned (phpBB) forum software resent old notifications. Could be an AI-induced uprising.
Literally 5:05. AI, really? F…