Sierra Nevada after atmospheric rivers

14ers in California and Washington state or any other peak in the USA
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Sierra Nevada after atmospheric rivers

Post by greenonion »

zinj wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:50 pm It so happens I'm going to be in Sacramento at the end of the week of 4th of July. Almost tecord snowpack...maybe an unseasonably late climb/ski off of Shasta?

I'm inclined to stick to the "standard" South (snowfield) side. rather than the glaciated aspects where crevasses might be obscured or behaving weirdly this season.

Anyone around in epic 1995 who can tell me what THAT winter did to Shasta?
Speaking of Sacramento and record winters… apparently a perfect storm/flood scenario could happen there if at least two of the rivers draining the Sierra (there may be a third) melt out too fast after a big year. Well, the Sierras are having a HUGE year. I think Sac might have a bigger levee system than New Orleans and they are supposed to be reinforcing it over time. Might be interesting this spring/summer, assuming it EVER stops snowing.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I fear it's going to be really bad, if/when it stops snowing, it's going to start heating up fast.

greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

justiner wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:06 pm I fear it's going to be really bad, if/when it stops snowing, it's going to start heating up fast.

You got it Justin. That’s the dreaded equation.

One of zeps best ^
drewski
14ers: 47  6 
13ers: 77
Trip Reports (0)

Post by drewski »

I think that Shasta being farther north is not having a huge snow year, just above average. It is farther south in the Sierras, like from Tahoe south, that the snow is way lots this year.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

drewski wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:59 pm I think that Shasta being farther north is not having a huge snow year, just above average. It is farther south in the Sierras, like from Tahoe south, that the snow is way lots this year.
Apparently the Shasta area snowpack is at 182%?

https://cdec.water.ca.gov/snowapp/sweq.action
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Most of the west coast is having a big year, all the way north to about Mt St Helens:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... lsqBKFGSvd
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

About once a decade there is so much snow that Yosemite does not open its mountain huts or even its Tioga campgrounds. And snow persits all summer on parts of the Muir trail. 2023 sounds like one of those years.