Cat Fight on the Manitou

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Cat Fight on the Manitou

Post by greenonion »

blazintoes wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:07 am FKTers can dope to win. Strava local legends can use e-bikes to achieve high status. Inflaming some imaginary problem with a competitor is another example of instead of working on things that affect us, we work on things that offend us so we can get attention. Victimhood is a way to get attention but nothing draws a crowd like a fight and a cat fight as derogatory as it may be, gets more attention.

When you complain you make yourself the victim. Leave the situation, change it or accept it. De-mucking (thanks Darrin) oneself from the sewer system of attention seeking requires a respectful withdrawal from feeding this energy. Respect is the ultimate currency and Hamilton passing the baton is respect at its finest.

Go read a book and stop fanning the flames.
What?
RhodoRose
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RhodoRose »

Ugh. The incline was fun when it was illegal. Haven't done it since and this only gave me another reason to never do it again.
But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3: 13-14
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

While the Manitou Incline is not deep back country, it is a beautiful place compared to many in this world. To me, this is what happens when people forget the main purpose for being in the mountains to begin with. Competition with others can be great, but if no one else existed would you still hike and climb these mountains? For most of us I would hope the answer would be a resounding "Yes."
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

I've been doing the Incline roughly once a week for like 14 years now. The Incline is incredibly scenic and a great workout. Love the sunrises. In the past, it was a great community. Very tolerant, inclusive, nobody would ever chase you... :roll: Many of the "regulars' just did the Incline to train or prepare for bigger and better peaks/races. Athletes from the Olympic Training Center, and throughout the country have trained on the Incline regularly. Nowadays, the dynamics of the Incline has changed. Too much drama for 2 seconds of social media fame. IMO, doing the Incline a billion times in 365 days just leaves you stuck on the Front Range and a lot less versatile athletically...

Incline_Sunrise.jpg
Incline_Sunrise.jpg (241.74 KiB) Viewed 1402 times
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

I promise life is much better as a participant instead of treated like a spectator sport. Ego pump and being fawned over for running up a set of steps five or six times a day for a year is what drives people like this - if it were thousands of laps in the stairwell at the YMCA it’d be a non-starter. But it’s hard to build a fan club from just working out a lot.

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

FKT stuff.

More ego battles. I knew these were gonna get serious. Cool.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

Ed_Groves wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:28 am While the Manitou Incline is not deep back country, it is a beautiful place compared to many in this world. To me, this is what happens when people forget the main purpose for being in the mountains to begin with. Competition with others can be great, but if no one else existed would you still hike and climb these mountains? For most of us I would hope the answer would be a resounding "Yes."
Yeah I’m surprised that some here have turned this into a “bash the incline” thread. I think the incline is awesome. It’s convenient to get to and an essential part of my springtime training for summer 14ers. It’s also a satisfying accomplishment with a nice view. But in terms of causing problems, incline is a bunch of railroad ties on a hill. Along with some metal grates and dirt. Can’t really blame those inanimate objects for the flaws of human beings. This is about competition being taken too seriously; that could happen anywhere.
Last edited by JROSKA on Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Is there a thing of which it is said, ‘See, this is new’? It has been already in the ages before us. There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of later things yet to be among those who come after.” - Ecclesiastes 1:10-11
dan0rama
14ers: 26  5 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dan0rama »

This is what happens when life gets too comfortable in Merica. We gotta give people real problems.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Love it or hate it...those are essentially the two categories of opinions about the incline.
I love it.
The kooks in the article, as someone mentioned before, are not much different than tbe us kooks on this forum.
Old Hickory
14ers: 18 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Old Hickory »

JROSKA wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:19 pm
Yeah I’m surprised that some here have turned this into a “bash the incline” thread. I think the incline is awesome. It’s convenient to get to and an essential part of my springtime training for summer 14ers. It’s also a satisfying accomplishment with a nice view. But in terms of causing problems, incline is a bunch of railroad ties on a hill. Along with some metal grates and dirt. Can’t really blame those inanimate objects for the flaws of human beings. This is about competition being taken too seriously; that could happen anywhere.
Well put. I love The Incline. I've hiked up it three times, but I've always taken the easy 2.7 mile stroll down the Barr Trail. (My knees could not "take the stairs" going down that thing.) I view the Incline as a test of general fitness that also affords some awesome views and brief encounters with nice people. When I last hiked it, it was a painful struggle that gave me a much-needed reality check about the efficacy of my 14ers training. ... But it is just "a bunch of railroad ties on a hill," and it's sad that people are fighting over bragging rights for hiking it the fastest or whatever.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I'll tune in as an Incline basher. I have only done the Barr Trail a few times, but have to say that it was better when the Incline was closed. Last time we did the Barr we were almost ran into by more than one runner running down hill.

I don't mind trail runners at all and whenever possible I'll always step aside for any that I meet no matter if I'm going up or down. I'm more than happy to share the trails with runners and to yield to them every time. The people running down the Barr after doing the Incline though seem to be a special breed of psycho. For heavens sake, pay attention, share the trail, and quit running people down.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 210 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

Scott P wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:35 pm I'll tune in as an Incline basher. I have only done the Barr Trail a few times, but have to say that it was better when the Incline was closed. Last time we did the Barr we were almost ran into by more than one runner running down hill.

I don't mind trail runners at all and whenever possible I'll always step aside for any that I meet no matter if I'm going up or down. I'm more than happy to share the trails with runners and to yield to them every time. The people running down the Barr after doing the Incline though seem to be a special breed of psycho. For heavens sake, pay attention, share the trail, and quit running people down.
Barr Trail 😍😍😍