14er Visioning Survey Responses Needed

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Re: 14er Visioning Survey Responses Needed

Post by Gandalf69 »

More bathrooms at trail heads would mean less waste everywhere, right? I also said we should teach the 14ers in school. Many states history is taught in school. All I remember learning was "You can drive to Mt Evans and Pikes Peak." I'm born and raised in Colorado, and its surprising how many Denver people don't know what a 14er is.
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

Gandalf69 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:58 am More bathrooms at trail heads would mean less waste everywhere, right? I also said we should teach the 14ers in school. Many states history is taught in school. All I remember learning was "You can drive to Mt Evans and Pikes Peak." I'm born and raised in Colorado, and its surprising how many Denver people don't know what a 14er is.
I believe it was Oscar Wilde who said, "Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught." Discovering some things for ourselves, like the feel of being on top of a mountain we hiked up, is one of life's joys. That said, Fourth grade curriculum covers some of the history and geography of Colorado and I have given multiple class talks on 14ers and how to stay safe outdoors -generally, they are 9 after all- to kids.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

No option for gondola to every summit. ☹️
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 210 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

Lloyd! Thanks for your interest in my opinion of S Maroon!
curt86iroc
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by curt86iroc »

peter303 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:42 am No option for gondola to every summit. ☹️
look nextdoor...
Peak200
14ers: 47 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Peak200 »

I filled it all out : I appreciate all the effort here.
Continued improvement with more bathrooms and
Trail improvement would be wonderful and best for
The environment. Oh and lots more education
On how to be prepared and protect the environment
Would be key. I would be happy to donate
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

curt86iroc wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:33 pm
peter303 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:42 am No option for gondola to every summit. ☹️
look nextdoor...
You referring to the idiots in Utah who want to build a gondola up the length of Littlewood Cottonwood Canyon to Snowbird and Alta resorts?
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

Gandalf69 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:58 am More bathrooms at trail heads would mean less waste everywhere, right? I also said we should teach the 14ers in school. Many states history is taught in school. All I remember learning was "You can drive to Mt Evans and Pikes Peak." I'm born and raised in Colorado, and its surprising how many Denver people don't know what a 14er is.
We were taught about 14ers and Colorado geography at my school aptly named “Peakview”. They also named each of the three wings of the school Pikes, Evans, and Longs. Each peak was visible from their respective wing.
curt86iroc
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by curt86iroc »

greenonion wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:19 pm
curt86iroc wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:33 pm
look nextdoor...
You referring to the idiots in Utah who want to build a gondola up the length of Littlewood Cottonwood Canyon to Snowbird and Alta resorts?
yup
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

I requested solar panels be installed at every 14er TH to enable charging of drones and wireless speakers.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

Jorts wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:09 pm I requested solar panels be installed at every 14er TH to enable charging of drones and wireless speakers.
not the hero we deserved but the hero we needed.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

i filled it out a while ago. solid notification system Bill.

habitat, clean water, wildlife health, forest sustainability, etc, should be the forefront of every discussion

that often means not building new trails - let's keep more habitat intact for wildlife rather continue to fragment it with rampant trail building; it often means controlling crowding, unfettered access and usage. let's improve the trails we have so people don't trailblaze new and illegal ones

more pit toilets would be good

more education on conservation, forest health, wildlife health, ecosystem sustainability, public lands, multiple use mandates, trail etiquette, and many other things would be great. there's no need to educate people specifically on 14ers, that's a waste of time and money and will exacerbate the crowding and associated problems.