Camping on Rock of Ages Approach

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
LetsGoMets
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 132 6
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Camping on Rock of Ages Approach

Post by LetsGoMets »

speth wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:10 am
dlloydjoneskc wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:50 am To somewhat piggyback off this thread. I am planning on doing El Diente and Mt Wilson from Kilpacker. Plan is to hike in 3 the night before and camp as high up as possible. Then get up early and do both peaks. However as I will be by myself, I don't feel super comfortable to do the traverse. Therefore, is it doable to (in one day) to go up El Diente, come down to the turnoff at 12.6 and then go get Wilson? Obviously the weather might have something to say, but is that realistic for one day?
I think doable, just depends on your level of fitness and your tolerance for suffering.
I day tripped from Kilpacker, and did them both w/o the traverse. Summited Wilson first, then came down to around 13,100' and cut straight over to the El D trail for the summit. Took me 9.5 hours truck to truck. 14 miles, ~5500 gain.
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

The best approach to Navajo Lake is from the Woods Lake TH....
El Diente.small.JPG
El Diente.small.JPG (107.54 KiB) Viewed 904 times
Navajo Lake.small.jpg
Navajo Lake.small.jpg (373.81 KiB) Viewed 904 times
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
DeTour
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (30)

Post by DeTour »

I day tripped from Kilpacker, and did them both w/o the traverse. Summited Wilson first, then came down to around 13,100' and cut straight over to the El D trail for the summit. Took me 9.5 hours truck to truck. 14 miles, ~5500 gain.
You can find TRs on what it sometimes called the “low traverse,” dropping below the cliffs at ~13,400’ but not all the way back to the trail junction at 12.6. Avoids the exposure of the ridge traverse, shorter than going all the way back to the trail junction, but on nasty talus instead of trail or airy ridge. Maybe done more frequently with El Diente first.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Once torched by truth, a little thing like faith is easy.
Swede Landing, 'Peace Like a River'
The land is forever.
- Steve Almburg, Illinois centennial farmer
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

nunns wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:38 am I am trying to determine if it is reasonable to camp anywhere past the trailhead on the Rock of Ages approach.
No, it's not reasonable. It's a quick approach that wouldn't be worth hauling gear. You'd be better off car camping at RoA TH.

Regarding Kilpacker being the safer route, ED's north buttress seemed fairly safe to me. Guessing it was like 4th classish. Wasn't overly loose or exposed. I'd def avoid the north slopes route though. Especially on this snowy year. I heard rocks crashing down it the whole time I was going up the buttress. And of the 3 great 14er traverses I've done, this one seemed the safest, easiest.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
Camden7
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 193 5 11
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Camden7 »

By my opinion the traverse was far easier and safer than the routes on El Diente, so although it would be doable weather allowing to do what you suggested, I personally think it increases the risk to go up and down both peaks. The traverse never exceeds mid 3rd class, and only Wilson’s summit block has real exposure on difficult terrain.

Returning to the main thread, I did not see any attractive camping that is worth the effort. Private Property in Silver pick basin would be a concern as well. All three of the 14ers can be done in a reasonable day from rock of ages if you start early. Probably 12-14 hours for most parties.
If you aren’t thirsty, you brought too much water.
If you aren’t hungry, you brought too much food.
If you aren’t scared, you brought too much gear.
If you made it to the top, it was too easy anyway.
-climbers’ adage
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

dlloydjoneskc wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:50 am To somewhat piggyback off this thread. I am planning on doing El Diente and Mt Wilson from Kilpacker. Plan is to hike in 3 the night before and camp as high up as possible. Then get up early and do both peaks. However as I will be by myself, I don't feel super comfortable to do the traverse. Therefore, is it doable to (in one day) to go up El Diente, come down to the turnoff at 12.6 and then go get Wilson? Obviously the weather might have something to say, but is that realistic for one day?
That is a good question that I also had. Sounds like the consensus is that the southern approach from Kilpacker is much safer, which is my primary concern.
Thanks for all of the advice.

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
BKS
14ers: 58  5  1 
13ers: 54 7 3
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BKS »

Getting both ELD and MW from kilpacker without the traverse from the TH is a big day, not a huge day. The “low traverse” route finding is not difficult and saves some time over dropping clear to valley floor. It is just a lot of sidehilling on broken dinner plate rock. The upper basin retains snow late in season, but it’s low angle enough that traction wasn’t required in august.

It’s a good route. I haven’t gone from Navajo, but from comparisons I’ve seen, it’s safer from a rock fall perspective. The route up MW from south is barely class 3 for a very short distance
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montanahiker »

Count me as another person looking debating how to do both ELD and MW from Kilpacker. I was thinking about doing something like the low traverse but may just do the regular traverse.
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
Briere
14ers: 45  1 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Briere »

Sounds like a day trip to me and I will likely do the low traverse if I am solo but if I can find someone to do it with me then do the actual traverse.