What counts as a repeat summit?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Re: What counts as a repeat summit?

Post by XterraRob »

What is the difference between claiming Grays and Torreys as 2 summits in one trip (via the saddle), and claiming Grays and Torreys and Grays as 3 summits in one trip (via the saddle)?
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
espressoself
14ers: 33  1 
13ers: 40 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by espressoself »

I've always followed the "one summit per unique peak per day" rule.
Some examples:
- Redcloud/Sunshine - returned over Redcloud, but I did not count Redcloud a second time.
- Belford/Oxford - same thing
- Mines/Flora/Eva/Parry - re-summited Eva to collect my partner who skipped Parry, returned over Flora. Counted each only once.
- I live in Fort Collins and often do two laps up Horsetooth after returning to the TH. I still log only one ascent.

I like this because it is more reflective of the number of outings I've done instead of the number of times I've re-ascended something from an arbitrary minimum elevation gain.

I also don't follow the 3000' rule because I think it's dumb if you try to apply it to anything other than the 14ers.

Ultimately, no one cares. Do what you want
Bigperm
14ers: 34  2 
13ers: 102 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Bigperm »

My thinking is if my 'repeat peak' was a different peak altogether, I'd want the credit for bagging it. It also requires re-assent, the very meaning of which means to climb again. Ie.. sunshine/redcloud, most go back over redcloud and don't count it, but I went forward and climbed Sundog. Everyone would agree that I had a three peak day, but If I went back over redcloud they'd say only two peaks? Nah, it's more accurate and reflective of the total effort. Ultimately, it's your list.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

This got me thinking, how big a problem is this? Well, not very big. In the last 5 years I have logged 315 13er summits and only 4 times did I fully re-summit a peak yielding a whopping 1.27% re-summit rate. I did not count the re-summits. #outandbacksucks #loops4thewin

For the curious, they are:
+Obstruction Peak on return from Columbia Point. (There's probably a way to include this in a loop, but if coming from South Colony Lakes, you will likely re-summit).
+Jones Mountain on return from Niagara Peak. (Usually done as a loop, but access from Silverton side was blocked by huge avalanche, so out and back from American Basin).
+Campbell Peak on return from T0. (Campbell is unranked, so this I not a big re-summit, just the best route to stay off junk slopes).
+13,577 on return from 13,656. (With 13,656's new summit location, a loop of some sort might be preferable, I plan to find out this year when I go back to get the correct summit.)

EDIT: added some route notes as there are very few mandatory re-summits out there, it just doesn't happen that often.
Last edited by HikerGuy on Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I would count this as a resummit of Harvard,
CalTopo_-_Backcountry_Mapping_Evolved_and_Inbox_—_Justin_Simoni_Account.jpg
CalTopo_-_Backcountry_Mapping_Evolved_and_Inbox_—_Justin_Simoni_Account.jpg (290.37 KiB) Viewed 722 times
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 119 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

HikerGuy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:33 pm For the curious, they are:
Obstruction Peak on return from Columbia Point.
Jones Mountain on return from Niagara Peak.
Campbell Peak on return from T0.
13,577 on return from 13,656.
I haven't done T0 yet, but we did Obstruction as a loop from Willow lake, Niagara-Jones-American as a loop from Silverton side, and if 13,577 is in the Sangres, it's also can be done as a loop from California.
The only really unavoidable out and back that I remember was Cleveland group with Dead man. I certainly didn't care to resummit 3 peaks on the way back. For the same reason, Bel/Ox and Redcloud/Sunshine (winter route) were not a favorite
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

SnowAlien wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:37 pm
HikerGuy wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:33 pm For the curious, they are:
Obstruction Peak on return from Columbia Point.
Jones Mountain on return from Niagara Peak.
Campbell Peak on return from T0.
13,577 on return from 13,656.
I haven't done T0 yet, but we did Obstruction as a loop from Willow lake, Niagara-Jones-American as a loop from Silverton side, and if 13,577 is in the Sangres, it's also can be done as a loop from California.
The only really unavoidable out and back that I remember was Cleveland group with Dead man. I certainly didn't care to resummit 3 peaks on the way back. For the same reason, Bel/Ox and Redcloud/Sunshine (winter route) were not a favorite
T0 dry, I would say definitely go over Campbell, which can be reached via grassy gullies most of the way to the ridge as opposed to scree basin hell surrounding T0.

T0 with snow might have some interesting ski opportunities on the NE face from Blue Lakes?
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 653 119 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

T0 is on the ski list. I haven't seen that basin up close, but I vaguely recall SarahT doing it as a couloir climb, so there must be a ski potential. Most people do T0 when dry and complain about the scree, so it's kinda a hint right there.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Returning over a summit same day is not a distinct ascent. LOJ won't let you check it more.than once the same day. Lots of out and back examples. I've been on Flora summit 3x the same day but count 1 ascent.. Same for Belford coming back from Oxford, and return over Challenger from Kit Carson. Plus Columbia pt since I went out to Obstruction. Redcloud if you return over from Sunshine. Lots of other non 14er ones.

Where a repeat .makes sense is for a climathon, like lapping a peak from trailhead or 3000ft gain each time. Like the inclination. Not sure how popular running laps up and down Quandary for 24 hours is, but that sort of thing would count by necessity. If you forgot your phone or keys on the summit and had to go back up, probably a special checkbox.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

cougar wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:56 pm Not sure how popular running laps up and down Quandary for 24 hours is, but that sort of thing would count by necessity.
Shoot. Done that too.
lap.jpg
lap.jpg (185.54 KiB) Viewed 528 times
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

justiner wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:31 pm Shoot. Done that too.
lap.jpg

You should go for 4+ sometime when there’s no snow!
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

bdloftin77 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:57 am
justiner wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:31 pm Shoot. Done that too.
You should go for 4+ sometime when there’s no snow!
Yes, and then hide in the bushes along the trail and attack anyone who looks like they're trying to lap it more times than you! :lol: