What counts as a repeat summit?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Briere
14ers: 45  1 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Re: What counts as a repeat summit?

Post by Briere »

On a smaller mountain scale. I will do repeats of Mt Morrison; returning to my car at the TH each time. I count that as a separate “summit”. Based on some posts, people wouldn’t count that 2nd time? Seems silly not to count it since I am doing the entire trail again
JQDivide
14ers: 58  33 
13ers: 115 1
Trip Reports (58)

Post by JQDivide »

I agree with what most people have said, it's not really a repeat by touching the summit again on the return trip.

And for the most part, I agree with the "It's your list, do what you want."
But there is always that caveat, if you're not following the community norms/standards, you're going to have to explain your list to someone at some time.
Sbenfield
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 289 4 25
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Sbenfield »

Plunging to the shadowy depths of Finnback Knob only to re-summit the gargantuan Horseshoe Mtn counts as a double summit in my opinion
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

I don't count repeats unless I descend back to the TH. I think thats the generally accepted rule in CO.

Otherwise you could trip back and forth between an unranked summit, and a ranked summit, and get dozens of "summits" in a couple hours. Mt Buckskin and Loveland come to mind.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Trotter wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:58 pm Otherwise you could trip back and forth between an unranked summit, and a ranked summit, and get dozens of "summits" in a couple hours.
Or minutes (or even seconds). You could just tap your foot on the summit rock multiple times in a minute and call it repeating the summit.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
GuiGirard
14ers: 28 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by GuiGirard »

justiner wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:31 pm
cougar wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:56 pm Not sure how popular running laps up and down Quandary for 24 hours is, but that sort of thing would count by necessity.
Shoot. Done that too.

lap.jpg

That's badass...
That would be an exception to my definition of a repeat being a separate hike (or bike, or ski) on a separate day. Because it involved descending all the way down to TH each time.
The second summiting of a given peak during a combo (as would be hitting Shavano a second time when hiking back from Tabeguache) does not count as a repeat for me. It merely counts as more misery for less reward (you only can mark it as 2 peaks despite the effort of summiting 3, a nice first world problem to have!)
Flips
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 101 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Flips »

Chicago Transplant wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:18 pm I get the "its your list" and largely agree, but you can't just drop a few feet and keep going back over a summit and count it every time. There needs to be a reasonable cut off, otherwise you could say you climbed a peak 100 times in like 10 minutes just going back and forth along the ridge for a few feet. I doubt anyone would think that counts as 100 summits, its just the first one that counts. Just use a reasonable sense of judgement with "your list".
Darn! There goes my strategy to pass Andrew Hamilton’s total summits.
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rollie Free »

montanahiker wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:48 pm You can only repeat a summit if you repeat a hike (including using a different route). You didn't summit Grays twice, you returned over Grays.
Not true.
I was climbing a double peak route in the San Juan's (Red Cloud, Sunshine) when I ran into these two older guys. When asked, I told them of my count. They told me theirs then one of them corrected himself and said that normally hikes in which you return and somewhat reclimb the first peak doesn't count as three 14ers, unless, unless you're over 50.
Made sense to me. In fact it made as much sense to me as any 14er rule as they are all made up and have no science or protocol or governing body behind it.
If you're under 50 you don't understand, if over, you know.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Rollie Free wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:16 pm If you're under 50 you don't understand, if over, you know.
LOL!!! +1
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down