Cat Fight on the Manitou

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Old Hickory
14ers: 18 
13ers: 9
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Cat Fight on the Manitou

Post by Old Hickory »

Scott P wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:35 pm I'll tune in as an Incline basher. I have only done the Barr Trail a few times, but have to say that it was better when the Incline was closed. Last time we did the Barr we were almost ran into by more than one runner running down hill.

I don't mind trail runners at all and whenever possible I'll always step aside for any that I meet no matter if I'm going up or down. I'm more than happy to share the trails with runners and to yield to them every time. The people running down the Barr after doing the Incline though seem to be a special breed of psycho. For heavens sake, pay attention, share the trail, and quit running people down.
Interesting observation. I've noticed trail runners but have had no bad experiences (however, n=3). But I wonder if the sturdy wooden fences "Barr-ing" (sorry) some of the switchbacks might have been constructed to thwart runners. (Probably not. But I don't live anywhere near CO Springs so I have no insight into this hyperlocal issue.)
lilgreenfish
14ers: 23 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lilgreenfish »

Old Hickory wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:23 pm But I wonder if the sturdy wooden fences "Barr-ing" (sorry) some of the switchbacks might have been constructed to thwart runners. (Probably not. But I don't live anywhere near CO Springs so I have no insight into this hyperlocal issue.)
As someone who started doing the Incline in 2000 or so…the fencing on the switchbacks has been there at least a quarter of a century. So definitely not there for runners!
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Candace66 »

madbuck wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:57 pm Here's a longer and more detailed article describing how the drama seems to cut across genders:
Restraining orders, claims of cheating, jealousy, cults: What is going on at the Manitou Incline?
Absolutely nuts.

I see the thread title has never been changed, though it's clearly inaccurate (among other things).
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

hellmanm wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:51 pm
andreasansone wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:23 pm It’s been interesting to witness all this going on- for the past 8 months or so. The his side, her side, and the truth. It’s unfortunate actually. I know quite a few people who now (including myself) want nothing to do with the incline and manitou springs because of this embarrassing drama, between adults and a set of stairs.
Yep, this is part of what turned me off the incline despite its perfect setup as a local training ground (along with their weird parking and reservation rules). The insular culture of the incline isn't exactly serving the town well (since Manitou gets a huge chunk of business from outsiders), but I get the sense that a lot of the hardcore incliners just want to feel special in their slices of life. It's literally a set of stairs, and tbh a lot of these records are more about persistence than skill anyway; any real pro athletes with too much time on their hands could shatter the records set by these middle-aged kooks whenever they felt like it.

Then again, it's not the first time Manitou has been in recent news for shady behavior: https://www.denverpost.com/2022/03/03/t ... ild-abuse/.
+1. I have considered hanging out in CO Springs for a few days and training on the incline to get ready for what I consider bigger and better things (the mountains). Not anymore. I will also add that I see social media is involved in this hysteria, which doesn't surprise me at all.

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I'm sort of amazed this hasn't gone further to vandalism of people's cars, or destruction of the railroad ties or something like that.

I've only done the Manitou Incline once. I went with the person I was dating at the time. We forgot all about needing to reserve, but the friendly people at the bottom signed us up on the spot. We went slower than the 8 year olds and their family that past us (I DO have multiple speeds!). There was some guy literally shoveling some of the steps - I've never in my life seen that sort of trail work done before, gave me a chuckle. Then at the top we mooned Colorado Springs. There were some birds at the top that were tame enough to rest on our outstretched fingers, while they patiently waited for snacks. We made plans to meet at the top of Pikes Peak the next day - them by train, me by snowshoe, and finally we took the Barr Trail down.

It was fun.
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

Funny though in 20-25 trips to the incline over the years I’ve never once experienced any of the things that people seem fearful of on this thread. And yet twice on 14ers (Huron and Yale) I was practically run over by aggressive trail runners. So this type of stuff can literally happen anywhere.
“Is there a thing of which it is said, ‘See, this is new’? It has been already in the ages before us. There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of later things yet to be among those who come after.” - Ecclesiastes 1:10-11
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

I remember when the Incline was an actual incline railway. No issues back then.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

I have to admit that I've started Google search on "the incline of western civilization" without much hope to find anything good.

Oh boy, was I wrong:
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

JROSKA wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:00 am Funny though in 20-25 trips to the incline over the years I’ve never once experienced any of the things that people seem fearful of on this thread. And yet twice on 14ers (Huron and Yale) I was practically run over by aggressive trail runners. So this type of stuff can literally happen anywhere.
Hah! I won't bother driving to the Springs for the incline, but I can relate to aggressive trail runners. Happened to me on Mt. Morrison last summer. I was practically pushed over from behind. Geesh, girl! Give me a second to jump off the trail! Happens on the more popular 14ers, too.

So it goes...
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

rijaca wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:21 am I remember when the Incline was an actual incline railway. No issues back then.
Really? You sure there were no cat fights in the rail cars?
I should be on a mountain
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

JROSKA wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:00 am Funny though in 20-25 trips to the incline over the years I’ve never once experienced any of the things that people seem fearful of on this thread. And yet twice on 14ers (Huron and Yale) I was practically run over by aggressive trail runners. So this type of stuff can literally happen anywhere.
Yeah, I'm not sure what to think about those reactions in this thread, but that's ok I guess.

Imo, the "official incline" page on FB has blown it up and the admin allows the perpetuity of the drama based on their involvement of discussion and they don't like the accused. Some fb people were going so far as to suggest the accused be reported to her employer and even gave directions on how to file a complaint with her employer, this, for actions outside of her workplace! Accused actions.
I do know the accused, just from seeing her so often over this past winter while on the incline, and I have done partial laps on the incline with her.
She was always kind to me and others while I've been around her, so it's hard for me to believe everything that has been said and what she's been accused of. I've seen the re-tell of the incident in 3 different variations from the accuser. That makes me wonder about the initial incident.
Either way, the situation sucks and I hope they resolve their dispute.
The fb page vitriol has made it so shitty though. There's a lot of hate there.
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

justiner wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:30 am There was some guy literally shoveling some of the steps - I've never in my life seen that sort of trail work done before, gave me a chuckle.
lol, I've done that on the incline before...in winter 18/19!
There's also local guy (Craig Burbank) that would shovel the 16 Golden Stairs, many years ago!