Coolest Find While Hiking

Have an interesting or epic climbing story? Post it here.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: Coolest Find While Hiking

Post by Scott P »

espressoself wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:48 pm I found what I believe are fossils of some kind on Dyer a few years ago:ADC54F9C-620B-4DCD-B99F-35535F1C5980.jpeg

I also found a chunk of coal below the long-defunct DSP&P RR line up toward St. Elmo in a talus pile along Chalk Creek. Kind of a neat piece of history.
I'd have to look closer, but to me they look more like iron concretions that fossils. Still cool either way.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Garrett
14ers: 58 
13ers: 654
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Garrett »

Those look like Belemnite fossils.
Hiking_TheRockies
14ers: 22  1 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Hiking_TheRockies »

Might as well add-on. This is a great thread!

Don't have a direct picture of it, but on the hike up to La Plata Peak via the lesser-used Southwest Ridge route, the trail passes by an old mine. The site route doesn't have a pic either, but there are mine cart rails coming out of the ground right next to the mine. I've seen plenty of old mines, but never any real cart rails! They're still in decent condition, too. I'm sure plenty have already passed by and seen this, but I thought it was pretty cool. Shows that people back in the day actually took the time to haul metal cart rails up high above treeline and go mining for gold or whatever it was.
Hiking when possible
fepic1
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 170 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by fepic1 »

I was coming down from Phoenix Peak in the San Juan mountains about 6 years ago. I had read USA Keller's trip report for this peak
and was on the route she described. From the summit I dropped down slightly lower than she did. I had only lost about 100' of elevation, so I was at around 13,800'.
Like normal I was looking down to keep my footing. Laying on the ground in plain sight was the most beautiful white flint arrowhead. It was maybe
1-1/2 to 2" long, so large it possibly could have been a spear point. The edges were serrated. Amazing craftsman to make serrated notches along both edges. Who knows how it got that high? Possibly more game animals were around for hunting that high back in the day or a wounded animal died there?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I found an old bucket last weekend - which isn't much, but it's OSMP, so you'd think everything that could have, has been picked clean,
bucket.jpg
bucket.jpg (187.52 KiB) Viewed 10603 times
Then I stumbled upon some cached bouldering pads, which is kind of a no-no in this area,
paew.jpg
paew.jpg (224.07 KiB) Viewed 10603 times
I left a note sharing my opinion of this practice,
NO!.jpg
NO!.jpg (191.42 KiB) Viewed 10603 times
justiner
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Then I stumbled upon a mountain lion on the summit
meow.jpg
meow.jpg (168.7 KiB) Viewed 10602 times
Yesterday I passed a tree that had barbed wire going straight through it, and about 7 feet off the ground - so I'm guessing it's been there for a few years. I neglected to take a photo of that.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

i thought the airplane wreck debris in airplane gully on Navajo peak was interesting, kind of creepy to see, but fascinating.

We came across plane wreck debris on West Spanish peak at a small saddle below the summit. This was unexpected, as no one on the hike had heard of a crash in that area.
Personally, the most favorite thing we found was the peak register on Kismet in 1987.
The register had been placed there in August of 1934, which was wonderful for me as that is the year that my mom was born.
it was also quite interesting to see the people who signed it and thst there was almost no one who climbed it in the 1940ies, most likely because of WW2.
One of the Gentleman on the trip recovered the register for the CMC, abd left a new one.
it will be fascinating to see who has signed it when i return in a couple more years as it will have been 38 years since i was first there.
Marmot72
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 570 16
Trip Reports (37)

Post by Marmot72 »

Outside of Colorado, it seems to be a "thing" to lug ammunition boxes to the summit to serve as registers. Summits where I found these were Organ Needle in the Organ mountains by Las Cruces, NM and Thompson Peak in the Sawtooth range, Idaho.
Organ Needle summit register
Organ Needle summit register
Organ Needle register.jpeg (537.84 KiB) Viewed 9993 times
Thompson summit register
Thompson summit register
Thompson register.jpeg (459.21 KiB) Viewed 9993 times

In Colorado, I've found many interesting mining relics and pieces of machinery/equipment. One thing that surprised me a few years ago was a cast iron panel - I think from an old wood burning stove - in the woods right off the trail leading into the basin framed by Ruffner and Mears to the north and T0 to the south.
wood burning stove panel
wood burning stove panel
Colorado iron scrap (1).jpeg (224.54 KiB) Viewed 9993 times
I have phenomenal route-finding abilities. Specifically, I have an uncanny knack for selecting the path of most resistance.
sunbleached
14ers: 2  1 
13ers: 14 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sunbleached »

Marmot72 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:43 pm Outside of Colorado, it seems to be a "thing" to lug ammunition boxes to the summit to serve as registers. Summits where I found these were Organ Needle in the Organ mountains by Las Cruces, NM and Thompson Peak in the Sawtooth range, Idaho.
I'm so used to seeing summit registers on peaks that it strikes me as weird Colorado doesn't have a culture around that!

In the Sierra, they're almost exclusively ammo boxes. You can tell when you're at the real high point when that tell-tale rectangular box is nestled among the rocks. I've also seen peanut butter jars, demolition charge canisters, and embossed Sierra Club metal boxes from the 1940s. Some people have strong feelings about them being litter, but I like them as a nice semblance of mountaineering history and as a way to read other people's feelings and entries. More obscure peaks generally have older and more unique signatures and summit registers; I've seen a few that have Norman Clyde's signature!
Climb For Revenge!

IG: @sunbleached_summits
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 210 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

justiner wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:52 pm Then I stumbled upon a mountain lion on the summit

meow.jpg

Yesterday I passed a tree that had barbed wire going straight through it, and about 7 feet off the ground - so I'm guessing it's been there for a few years. I neglected to take a photo of that.
Cats😍😍😍
justiner
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Yesterday we met little Gandalf
gandalf.jpg
gandalf.jpg (258.83 KiB) Viewed 2833 times
justiner