Exploring Spring Cave in Meeker, CO

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mikefromcraig
14ers: 53  24 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (15)

Exploring Spring Cave in Meeker, CO

Post by mikefromcraig »

I was going through some old YouTube videos and forgot I had this one. I had a lot of fun exploring this cave and was nowhere near seeing all of it. And both times I went my partner and I were the only ones there as it's somewhat remote. Not a long hike in, just in a remote location of Colorado.

"I don't believe anyone who says they would prefer to die on a mountain in their 30s than in a hospital in their 90s."
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Exploring Spring Cave in Meeker, CO

Post by JChitwood »

Great shots. Does the water emerge somewhere downhill? I don’t hear much about caves in Colorado. Back in the southern Midwest where I grew up there are caves everywhere.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
mikefromcraig
Trip Reports (15)

Post by mikefromcraig »

JChitwood wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 12:09 pm Great shots. Does the water emerge somewhere downhill? I don’t hear much about caves in Colorado. Back in the southern Midwest where I grew up there are caves everywhere.
I honestly don't know. This was at least 5 years ago. I don't recall hiking through any river to get to the cave.
"I don't believe anyone who says they would prefer to die on a mountain in their 30s than in a hospital in their 90s."
gakefo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by gakefo »

Dye tests have shown the cave water to show up in the south fork of the White River. There is a fun loop to/from the water, Polish Squeeze to Birth Canal. The best part of the cave is from the water to the terminal sump, I recommend a dry suit because it’s cold water.
mikefromcraig
Trip Reports (15)

Post by mikefromcraig »

gakefo wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 2:27 pm Dye tests have shown the cave water to show up in the south fork of the White River. There is a fun loop to/from the water, Polish Squeeze to Birth Canal. The best part of the cave is from the water to the terminal sump, I recommend a dry suit because it’s cold water.
Oh yeah, I remember that. The water was freezing cold. It's just cold in general in the cave as well. I think we went right int he middle of the summer and I'm wearing a sweatshirt over a long-sleeve shirt.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

The only time i was there it was late June and hot outside of the cave.
So being in the cave was nice and much cooler. it is a fun place to explore, and there was a nice long hike we went on that was quite beautiful.