North Crestone Lake-Willow Lake high route

Items that do not fit the categories above.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Gendarmeman710
Trip Reports (0)

North Crestone Lake-Willow Lake high route

Post by Gendarmeman710 »

I’m planning a backpacking trip in the Sangres in mid July with the goal of staying in the middle of the range. I’ve seen posts online of Mt Adams ascents via both of its western ridges. Has anybody connected North Crestone Lake and Willow Lake via a high route? I’m not looking to exceed Class 2+ or short sections of Class 3 with a bag on, but I reallllly don’t want to walk down valley. ](*,) Thanks. - Frank
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Re: North Crestone Lake-Willow Lake high route

Post by Scott P »

Although I haven't done it, Gerry Roach's 13ers book shows various class 2 routes that would connect as a single class 2 route between the two lakes. Approximate route:
South Crestone.jpg
South Crestone.jpg (298.21 KiB) Viewed 1384 times
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

The tight topo lines on the northern side of the cols look real tough.
Stratosfearsome
14ers: 58  2  33 
13ers: 244 9 3
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Stratosfearsome »

south crestone lake to willow lake.jpg
south crestone lake to willow lake.jpg (182.27 KiB) Viewed 1357 times
Here's a photo looking across South Crestone Lake to Mt. Adam's west face. One of those diagonal ledges may go at class 3 or less to the notch between Mt. Adams and Unnamed 13546. The south side of the pass is grass / rock C2 down to Willow lake, as I remember.
Nobody climbs 14ers anymore, they’re too crowded.
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

justiner wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 11:38 am The tight topo lines on the northern side of the cols look real tough.
Roach still says class 2 though. Although I haven't done that route, usually his ratings are reliable. Blue is class 2.
20230528_121013.jpg
20230528_121013.jpg (164.21 KiB) Viewed 1340 times

Roach says the route up to the saddle south of North Crestone Lake is a grassy slope and he mentions no specific difficulties.

He says the route up to the saddle south of South Crestone Lake is up some steep (class 2) talus up a wide coilour.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

That's surprising honestly, as I thought the standard route up Mt. Adams was Class 3 - it's listed here as that (and on Summit Post).

Roach is notorious for grading things inconsistently - any Flatiron scrambler will tell you that much. He even has a short story about sandbagging himself on the route aptly called, "Hubris" on the First Flatiron.

Pinch of salt I guess. It seems routes on the Crestones vary (think Crestone Needle) depending if you cross over a gully/rib at the exact right place or not. I'm still trying to find a Class 2 route on the ridge between Adams and Obstruction - I'm sure it's there! :lol:
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

Agree with Justiner I also thought the standard route on Adams was C3. I packed the poles and used my hands a lot.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
Scott P
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

justiner wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 12:33 pm That's surprising honestly, as I thought the standard route up Mt. Adams was Class 3 - it's listed here as that (and on Summit Post).
LoJ and Roach both list it as 2+. Class 3- isn't a commonly used rating. I haven't done it though, so can't say.

Still, the original post says he is OK with class 2+ or short sections of class 3 so he should be fine either way.

As far as Roach's route ratings go, I have found them to be reliable most of the time. There are some exceptions (the west ridge of Skyscraper is easy class 2, not the class 3 in the book), but usually in the other direction. I do know several of the class 2 14er routes he had are really class 1 now days. I have only done a few climbs in the Flatirons though. The map is copied is the old book though, so maybe the new on has it changed.
Gendarmeman710
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Gendarmeman710 »

Bear with me I’m still figuring out how to reply. Thanks for all the info!! I’m super stoked to check this route out now that I know it’s been done. I will leave a full trip report when I finish up at the end of July. Cheers!! :horns:
zrsimpson
14ers: 37 
13ers: 110
Trip Reports (0)

Post by zrsimpson »

I descended to North Crestone Lake after having summited Mt. Adams. It's steep with a lot of loose dirt and gravel. It was never unsafe (especially if you've done Adams), but it's not comfortable, either. It would be easier to go up than come down. The descent into the Willow Lake drainage is much easier. So I would recommend going up North Crestone and then down through Willow Lake.

I'd offer that Adams is Class 3, especially if you stick to the ridgeline, where the rock is really secure.