Major Site Updates

Check here for updates to the forum and site.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Troll posts will be removed.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Major Site Updates

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Yeah, I need to change that button to "Select Photos..." and then pop up a message if the user tries to exit the page without hitting the "Start Upload"

I'll try to make it more clear. Sorry about that
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

Not sure if this is new, but it looks like the number of recent activity tabs is capped by one's screen size, not the selected number in Display Settings.

Also, not sure if you saw my comment on the "checklist changes" thread a couple weeks ago. I noticed recently that when viewing a user's 13er checklist (or modifying one's own), all the unofficially named peaks (peaks with their name in "quotation marks") are sorted to the bottom of the list instead of by elevation. I would assume this was intentional except that everything else is sorted only by elevation.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

9patrickmurphy wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 3:01 pm Not sure if this is new, but it looks like the number of recent activity tabs is capped by one's screen size, not the selected number in Display Settings.

Also, not sure if you saw my comment on the "checklist changes" thread a couple weeks ago. I noticed recently that when viewing a user's 13er checklist (or modifying one's own), all the unofficially named peaks (peaks with their name in "quotation marks") are sorted to the bottom of the list instead of by elevation. I would assume this was intentional except that everything else is sorted only by elevation.
It's been that way for a while. It "clips" off the lower part of the recent activity list when viewed on a desktop screen. However, your display settings are still used if you are on a larger screen, or if you zoom out the browser magnification. At some point, I may put a vertical scroll bar on the list.

On smaller screens, including mobile, Recent Activity is pushed to the bottom of the page where your Display Settings are fully utilized.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

I'm not getting email notifications on private messages.

I'll add to the thanks as well.
Bill, thanks for your dedication and allowing this show to carry on!
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

d_baker wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:41 pm I'm not getting email notifications on private messages.
Did you check your spam/junk folder? Many of the email providers treat 14ers.com mail as spam because we use a hosting company they just assume has mostly spam. :(
I see messages going through but I'll do a little more testing
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:13 pm
d_baker wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 6:41 pm I'm not getting email notifications on private messages.
Did you check your spam/junk folder? Many of the email providers treat 14ers.com mail as spam because we use a hosting company they just assume has mostly spam. :(
Yup, went to spam folder. I don't think that has happened before. Thanks Bill!
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

d_baker wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:35 pm
BillMiddlebrook wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:13 pm
Yup, went to spam folder. I don't think that has happened before. Thanks Bill!
I'm guessing it's because I upgraded some core software and your provider saw 14ers.com as a bit different. I didn't change the sender email settings or anything but I did update the email software used by the OS on the server. You'll have to "whitelist" me again!
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
Trip Reports (2)

I also noticed GMAIL started rejecting all of the new registration activation emails for those registering with a gmail address. I had to make a change and resend them for the last 2 days.

Again, caused by the upgrade of the core email software