Crampon pants

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sooshee
14ers: 15  1 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Crampon pants

Post by sooshee »

I use gaiters when I have my crampons on. I also have a pair of OR Cirque mountaineering pants with built in gaiter that has a great crampon patch.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

IMG_0645.JPG
IMG_0645.JPG (89.03 KiB) Viewed 3024 times
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Thanks for a lot of great suggestions everyone (well except maybe that last one! :lol: )

For the short-term I think CaptainSuburbia may have the winning suggestion - my current gaiters were too short to do the trick and some of my previous ones were too expensive to be readily expendable - those ones are cheap enough that if I can't get the muscle memory solution to kick in I at least won't break the bank so bad - and with Amazon I can get them before the weekend!

But I'll keep some of these other suggestions on file as I consider gear options in the future. Thanks all!
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 318 22 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

spoony wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:03 am Here's my take: embrace your inner Euro and buy some tighter fitting pants. Without the bagginess, you will be less likely to snag.
I agree with you, the tighter pants don't snag as much.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 73 months
daway8
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

climbingcue wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 5:54 am
spoony wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:03 am Here's my take: embrace your inner Euro and buy some tighter fitting pants. Without the bagginess, you will be less likely to snag.
I agree with you, the tighter pants don't snag as much.
It's the "as much" part that worries me... That's why I'm checking out the $11 tall gaiters first (along with trying to maintain greater awareness) and then will consider other more major gear upgrades as needed.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

This piece of gear is just begging for a portmanteau - Crampants.
martintravis
14ers: 23 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (0)

Post by martintravis »

Kids, here's your clue not to base anybody on their checklist count. Anyone can claim to have climbed or indeed may have actually climbed all the 14ers, including 20 of them in winter, and still not even realize what gaiters are for.

*Edit: Imagine the answers to this question if asked by someone who had done Grays and Bierstadt in August, only.
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

martintravis wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:07 am Kids, here's your clue not to base anybody on their checklist count. Anyone can claim to have climbed or indeed may have actually climbed all the 14ers, including 20 of them in winter, and still not even realize what gaiters are for.

*Edit: Imagine the answers to this question if asked by someone who had done Grays and Bierstadt in August, only.
No need to be so patronizing. He could also just not want to wear gaiters and be wondering about non-gaiter solutions. I don't like wearing gaiters myself, especially in spring when I'm already hot and sweaty, so I just accept having lots of holes in the lower legs of my pants. Ultimately I suggest simply improving technique, which will go a long way towards reducing snags and holes and making any outing in the mountains more enjoyable.
Anima
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 202 12
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Anima »

martintravis wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 11:07 am Kids, here's your clue not to base anybody on their checklist count. Anyone can claim to have climbed or indeed may have actually climbed all the 14ers, including 20 of them in winter, and still not even realize what gaiters are for.

Gaiters are not specifically designed to prevent crampon punctures. Some are, but the majority are for keeping debris/snow out of boots and will not resist crampons. Though I can't blame you for this type of comment—your checklist excuses it. :wink:
What is real will prosper.
daway8
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Kids, here's your clue to check people's reading comprehension skills...
daway8 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 10:17 pm ...my current gaiters were too short to do the trick and some of my previous ones were too expensive to be readily expendable...
So yes, I pretty much always wear gaiters when there's snow on the ground - and have had them on during every crampon incident - in earlier incidents I shredded some very expensive gaiters that were supposedly highly tear resistant. The last time I grabbed gaiters all they had on hand were ones shorter than I normally get - it was those which I had on during the latest incident.

The useful tidbit here was the that I could get gaiters that tall for that cheap (hadn't spotted a deal like that last time I looked) and I also got lots of backup ideas to possibly explore down the road.

IN ADDITION TO THIS, many others can now read and benefit from these many good suggestions and those with adequate reading comprehension skills will find a helpful variety of potential solutions for all price ranges.

So I consider this thread to be a success.
GK83
14ers: 9 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by GK83 »

I feel like most of the people on this thread are making the problem worse... cordura patches on the inside of pant legs are great for ski edges, but horrible for crampon snags, they create a stiff ledge at the top of the patch where you are more likely to get a crampon hung up, get slim fitting pants without a patch or interior gaiter and you will rarely snag, most likely even less than with gaiters... Himali guide flex pants come to mind but there are plenty of options.
k_fergie
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 160 34 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by k_fergie »

I also tend to avoid gaiters, they are for post holing and post holing is sad :cry: . In snow, I am usually wearing my ski pants (internal gaiter) or in the early summer I just wear shorts. No snags in either situation with care taken. A bare calf snag would be less than ideal, but that cool breeze is very ideal and worth it. And that good thigh tan, also very worth it.
I thought, I taught, I wrought