Greys and Torreys combo

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
J23ruma
Trip Reports (0)

Greys and Torreys combo

Post by J23ruma »

Hey folks! New here and looking for some advice on summiting the above around June 14th!
Bit of background, from MO done a couple 14ers in past Elbert/Massive. Never done one this early in the season. Any recommendations would be helpful/appreciated. I plan to bring spikes and start early (3AM). Should I bring the snow shoes or would it just be added carry?
Staying in Winter Park if anyone can speak to some good trailheads in the surrounding areas that would be wonderful!?
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Greys and Torreys combo

Post by nyker »

See the other thread about a Colorado vacation, probably similar responses.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

J23ruma wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:28 pm Hey folks! New here and looking for some advice on summiting the above around June 14th!
Bit of background, from MO done a couple 14ers in past Elbert/Massive. Never done one this early in the season. Any recommendations would be helpful/appreciated. I plan to bring spikes and start early (3AM). Should I bring the snow shoes or would it just be added carry?
Staying in Winter Park if anyone can speak to some good trailheads in the surrounding areas that would be wonderful!?
Keep an eye on the conditions as you get closer to the date.
https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstatus_main.php
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
catward77
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by catward77 »

Also from MO (KC area), currently live in Winter Park, was mildly considering doing Greys/Torreys sometime in the next week and also always start early enough to get a sunrise summit. If you're looking for a hiking partner, feel free to reach out.
If down before 9, you might be able to swing it w/ no snowshoes. Any later and I'd definitely advise taking them.
I can recommend tons of different hikes in the WP area. Berthoud Pass West Trail up through Vasquez wilderness is a great run to test your gear; icy in the morning and super slushy *postholing flashbacks* later in the day. Class 1, easy hike to get used to altitude. Trail goes on&on; I did an out-and-back totaling 11mi this morning. Monarch Lake -> Crater Lake (Indian Peaks) is another beautiful easy one.