Crampon pants

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Crampon pants

Post by Wildernessjane »

I only ever wear actual gaiters when I’m concerned about post-holing and getting snow in my boots. I don’t even wear gaiters for ice climbing anymore. I agree with the advice of wearing pants that will fit snug around your boots. Also be mindful to maintain a slightly wider stance when you walk, take a little bit smaller steps and avoid high stepping. The OR Cirques are great but a little warm for this time of year since they don’t vent.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Well took a gear testing morning due to iffy looking forecast up high and the $11 gaiters worked ok but not the greatest for staying tightly cinched at the top (had to readjust a few times).

Only had one minor snag this time (using real crampons on Scarpas this time - with inserts to not kill my heels so bad) and that was when high stepping (which, upon reflection, I think that was when some of my worst gashes before had come from).

Unfortunately, in certain circumstances high stepping is by far the most efficient way to get up some steep scrambles - guess I'll just have to be doubly mindful and cautious in those instances.

Also noticed that it was easier to maintain proper form with stiff mountaineering boots on because I could step in a much more confident and secure fashion regardless of the terrain, so keeping my feet properly spaced was much easier (the boots I had on my recent go at the Narrows were worn out Keens that were way too flexible to confidently do what I was attempting).

Figured I'd post these tidbits so anyone else still somewhat early on the learning curve of significant snow climbing can learn from my blundering progress.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

daway8 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:02 am Unfortunately, in certain circumstances high stepping is by far the most efficient way to get up some steep scrambles - guess I'll just have to be doubly mindful and cautious in those instances.
Sure…I’ll give you that. There are times when it makes sense to do. But in general if you’re climbing up a steep snow slope and high stepping you’ll be much more likely to snag your pants. Because I’m short, I tend to high step a lot when I’m rock climbing out of necessity. However, high stepping involves much more powerful moves and is not a very efficient way to do things when it’s not necessary. I had to break this habit when I started ice climbing. It’s just something to keep in mind.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
daway8
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Wildernessjane wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:41 am
daway8 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 10:02 am Unfortunately, in certain circumstances high stepping is by far the most efficient way to get up some steep scrambles - guess I'll just have to be doubly mindful and cautious in those instances.
Sure…I’ll give you that. There are times when it makes sense to do. But in general if you’re climbing up a steep snow slope and high stepping you’ll be much more likely to snag your pants. Because I’m short, I tend to high step a lot when I’m rock climbing out of necessity. However, high stepping involves much more powerful moves and is not a very efficient way to do things when it’s not necessary. I had to break this habit when I started ice climbing. It’s just something to keep in mind.
Yes, it's a lot more tiring too so I generally don't do it a lot on a big day but I guess I'll need to be extra judicious about it when hiking with crampons.
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

If I'm not on actual steep water ice, which isn't frequently these days, I keep my "big toe" point a little duller then the others.

If you're just on snow, it doesn't matter even a little if they're sharp, just need to be triangle shaped.
blazintoes
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 327 3 73
Trip Reports (16)

Post by blazintoes »

This is why golfer's bring two pairs of pants.
Haaaaaa!

Proprioception is what ThatBenGuy was referring to. Over time and after many outings crampon placement becomes second nature and you'll know exactly where all ten pon points are. More couloir climbing for you! That's an order. Ten hut!
k_fergie
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 160 34 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by k_fergie »

k_fergie wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:47 pm I also tend to avoid gaiters, they are for post holing and post holing is sad :cry: . In snow, I am usually wearing my ski pants (internal gaiter) or in the early summer I just wear shorts. No snags in either situation with care taken. A bare calf snag would be less than ideal, but that cool breeze is very ideal and worth it. And that good thigh tan, also very worth it.
Coming back with a confession. Yesterday I snagged on my ski pants while booting up the V on Atlantic. Sticky snow was causing major balling and I snagged while trying to kick some off.

I'll echo what I saw someone else say. No need to have super sharp points for snow climbing. I've had my crampons for over 5 years and never even considered sharpening them. The rip I made yesterday was only about 1cm
I thought, I taught, I wrought
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

k_fergie wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:20 am No need to have super sharp points for snow climbing
My current crampons,
IMG_2913.jpg
IMG_2913.jpg (148.53 KiB) Viewed 2878 times
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

Lol justiner, what do you climb in those, Mt Butter? I can’t stand dull crampons and axes, but then again, I climb real ice. Spend enough time in ‘pons, and you’ll learn to walk differently, but unfortunately, you WILL occasionally snag your pants. IMO, tight fitting pants/ gaiters FTW.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

justiner wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:47 am
k_fergie wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:20 am No need to have super sharp points for snow climbing
My current crampons,

IMG_2913.jpg
Lol
I did say triangle, not trapezoid!

But yes, the point stands. And even on actual ice, unless it's pretty thin technical stuff, having razors on your toes doesn't really seem necessary.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Bale wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:08 pm Lol justiner, what do you climb in those, Mt Butter?
Mostly Longs Peak.
daway8
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

pvnisher wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:51 pm
justiner wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:47 am
My current crampons,

IMG_2913.jpg
Lol
I did say triangle, not trapezoid!

But yes, the point stands. And even on actual ice, unless it's pretty thin technical stuff, having razors on your toes doesn't really seem necessary.
Maybe not actually needed but when I went back and did Longs today and crossed the Narrows at 8am, I was sure glad I had sharp points and not justiners butter pons!

And I only snagged a few times today, lol, mostly while walking horizontally across the Ledges.