Venipuncture at high altitude

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
derekpetrie
14ers: 17 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Venipuncture at high altitude

Post by derekpetrie »

I recently had a blood draw above 10k feet, and it took a small army of medical professionals to finally find and puncture a usable vein. It reminded me of the other couple times in I’ve had blood drawn up high, once at summit lake on Evans for a research study, and another at Copper.

Each time the draws were horrendous. It has taken 3-5 attempts, no one can find my veins, and while I do pretty well with needles, 15+ minutes of digging for draws is never fun. I don’t have super easy veins at lower elevation, but this has got me wondering: Am I screwed if I need an IV at or above treeline? Anyone else have this issue or have experience with patients like me? Would be good to know if I need to make some treatment notes in case of emergency.
DaveLanders
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Venipuncture at high altitude

Post by DaveLanders »

I am also a hard draw. I've had better luck using the veins on the back of my hands. Where were they sticking you?
Every village has at least one idiot. Successful villages choose someone else to be their leader.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Interesting post. My largest are on my calves, probably from cycling. OP: I wonder if that would be an option for you?

-Tom
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jrs1965 »

Back in the 80's, I had an Army buddy that had participated in an Army high altitude research program on the summit of Pikes Peak. He pretty much spent the summer on the summit of Pikes running/exercising. There, he had said they would do ABG's, or, Arterial Blood Gas draws for their research. He said it was a bit unnerving when the tech would wear a full oxygen face mask, like a fighter pilot, while doing the blood draw. (Easy to bleed out somewhat if an arterial draw isn't done correctly.) I had seen old black and white pictures of the blood draws occurring, but couldn't find anything with a Google search...
sooshee
14ers: 15  1 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sooshee »

A lot of things can influence how easy it is to stick someone, like hydration status. I'm an RN at a fairly high altitude, but I must admit I've never worked at sea level so I no idea if the veins are easier down there in the thick air! It is really nothing I have thought of...

Who were the people trying to stick you? There is quite a spectrum of medical professionals, and some are a lot more proficient than others. Most of the time ER, paramedics, pre-op, and life flight personnel are good at sticks on a variety of people. When I worked in a rural hospital the ER staff were our "IV team" essentially, especially on pediatric patients.
NovaDevi25
14ers: 5 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NovaDevi25 »

Was an ER nurse until recently, veins are crapshoots, sometimes even if really visible. Hydration status also can play a huge role in how nicely they play, even a little dehydration can make them much more temperamental. I have only ever done IV work at about 1500 feet which is the elevation of the city I live in, I'd imagine altitude can make them a little temperamental.

Depending on the experience of the folks sticking you, you could have wildly different experiences. I've been training some lab techs where I work now in venipuncture and I sometimes shake my head at what they choose to go after or when they can't feel something very very obvious to me. Different experience levels. I am not intimidated by sticking people, at all. I know others who are f***ing terrified of sticking people.

That being said, you're not screwed, it may just take some time. And if worst comes to worst, emergency personnel with the right equipment will do an IO, intraosseous IV, where they drill into your shin or humerus to infuse things straight into the bone which is surprisingly highly vascular and a very successful if painful way to get IV access.
"The effort yields its own rewards." - Commander Data

“It is only when I return to life below that I feel the world’s weight in my shoulders.” - Anatoli Boukreev

"Why climb [everest]? Because it is there." - Mallory
derekpetrie
14ers: 17 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by derekpetrie »

Thanks all for the responses! It sounds like cold and dehydration may have played a part, and my physiology seems to be a challenge for even the most experienced healthcare professionals.

It’s good to know that there are other options like an IO if needed!
hotrod
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hotrod »

Trying to find a vein has always been a problem when I am stabbed. I learned to ask them to use a butterrfly needle, and it made a huge difference.
Growing older is inevitable, but getting old is not.
hotrod
Trip Reports (0)

Post by hotrod »

Trying to find a vein has always been a problem when I cam stabbed. I learned to ask them to use a buttrrfly needle, and it made a huge difference.
Growing older is inevitable, but getting old is not.