Late season this year?

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Dan England
14ers: 58 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (0)

Late season this year?

Post by Dan England »

Hello! I was wondering anyone's thoughts here on whether the 14ers will have much of a climbing season this year. The answer is probably yes, but I wonder if it will be much later than normal. There's plenty of snow on some Front Range peaks yet, and I'm only seeing temps in the 80s well into June this year.
I wonder if Longs will even open.
I'm a 14ers finisher so I remember how all this works, but it feels like an unusual year. But then again, I could be wrong, as I've since moved to ultras and am not as familiar with the start of the season as many of you are. I know seasons have started in mid-June in the past. I usually started in July 4.

I wrote the story on Chris Fisher and another on Andrew Hamilton and Andrea Sasone for Colorado Sun

And yes, I know some do climb in the snow — I have before too — but I may write a story for the general public about the 14ers and was just curious what you all thought before I did that. I appreciate any thoughts.

- Dan England
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Late season this year?

Post by Dave B »

The summer/snow-free 14er season usually goes from July to late Sept (or even early Oct some years), so 3-3.5 months which is 25% of the entire year.

So, don't worry, there will be plenty of opportunity for hiking.
Make wilderness less accessible.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 104 14 5
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Jorts »

Seems like above average SWE but fairly typical melt-off rate. There's certainly a stark contrast between this year and the last down here in the SJs. I don't think it would be unreasonable to extrapolate based on the snotel graph to estimate how far behind average melt-off is this year. Looks like a week to 2.
Attachments
2023-06-05_18-24-24.jpg
2023-06-05_18-24-24.jpg (64.33 KiB) Viewed 1065 times
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
JROSKA
14ers: 50 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by JROSKA »

I think it will be a normal summer for hiking, which is around July 4 through the end of September. I have noticed that many people (myself included) try to force the “American” summer time clock of Memorial Day to Labor Day onto Colorado 14ers and then when that doesn’t occur, we tag it as “abnormal”. It’s a difficult mentality to shake due to longest days of the year, kids being out of school etc. But I’ve been at this for 14 summers and I don’t take June seriously as a summer month in the mountains. Not above 12 k. Summer at altitude is July, August and September; 2023 will just a normal summer for hiking.
“Is there a thing of which it is said, ‘See, this is new’? It has been already in the ages before us. There is no remembrance of former things, nor will there be any remembrance of later things yet to be among those who come after.” - Ecclesiastes 1:10-11
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

Some crazy high numbers in the Gunnison area.

This summer might be another 1816, the year without summer :-D
Screenshot_20230605-075017_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20230605-075017_Drive.jpg (84.71 KiB) Viewed 978 times
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Snowpack is less than 2019, but seems to linger or be more. Lots of melt by July 4 that year. Very wet pattern this spring, seems to hold off rapid melt. Big question is if there will be any dry periods before the monsoon, where routes are mostly snow free, and intensity and length of thus summers monsoon. Last year started earlier, lasted longer, and was pretty wet.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
CheapCigarMan
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:03 pm Some crazy high numbers in the Gunnison area.

Screenshot_20230605-075017_Drive.jpg
What do the numbers mean?
I should be on a mountain
CheapCigarMan
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

cougar wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:17 pm Big question is if there will be any dry periods before the monsoon, where routes are mostly snow free, and intensity and length of thus summers monsoon.
Monsoon season already started last month.
How many weekends since May were rainy snowy overcast with socked in summits?

https://denvergazette.com/weather/wet-m ... e031d.html
I should be on a mountain
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

It also various a lot between different ranges and peaks - if you browse the conditions reports page you'll see some people already reporting pretty much summer conditions while I can attest after today (see CR) that Longs is definitely NOT summer conditions right now nor will it likely be for a while. It of course is open but not currently for the faint of heart.
dr_j
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (4)

Post by dr_j »

Feels that way, doesn't it? At least where I am, down in NM, the snow has finally melted from the high peaks, and we've had a couple of weeks of steady rainy days without the hot temperatures. It kind of looks that way in CO as well, so I'm probably getting a late start to my hiking season, most likely mid-July. The closest equivalent that I remember is 2019, which was a big snow year, albeit with a fast melt off.

Hopefully this wet weather will blunt the wildfire season and lead to a nice bloom of flowers in the high country.
IG: jc_solitude
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:03 pm Some crazy high numbers in the Gunnison area.

Even there, snowpack is three weeks behind schedule so there will be a summer.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Most of the Snotel melt curves are exactly their 30 year medians, save for the west San Juans which are melting more slowly. We are probably biased by recent draw years.

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/wps/portal/wc ... o/products