Emily Franciose

Please, no analysis or debate in this sub-forum. This is for memorial threads only.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Emily Franciose

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Emily died earlier this year in an avalanche in Switzerland. She was only 18, grew up in Vail, and chose to spend her senior year overseas. After attending her memorial, I felt it appropriate to mention her here for my Eagle county and Vail Valley friends. I wasn't surprised to see the amount of people at her memorial but I was moved by the stories from her friends, family and classmates in Switzerland. If you were there, I'm sure you were touched as well.

I can't imagine what her parents, Sue and Reg, have gone through over the past few months and as summer arrives, it's very possible that Emily will be found soon and returned home.

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/hundreds ... franciose/
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
k_fergie
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 160 34 6
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Emily Franciose

Post by k_fergie »

Goodness, these never get easier to read. Life is fleeting, but in the end, its what you make of it. My condolences, I hope her friends and family are able to find peace and solace. RIP Emily.
I thought, I taught, I wrought
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

I remember reading about her back in March. She was an impressive young lady.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Thank you for sharing the link, I had not heard about her until you posted and I read the article. Loss of a great person, looks like she did a ton of stuff in a very short life.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
terrysrunning
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 71
Trip Reports (0)

Post by terrysrunning »

So hard to read. I have a 5 year old daughter who I take climbing and skiing. She loves watching backcountry ski videos on YouTube; especially when they ski off cliffs 😄. I love what a badass she is but wonder if I'm raising her TOO fearless sometimes when I read stuff like this. My heart goes out to those parents.
"My life is dope, and I do dope s**t" -Kanye
MaryinColorado
Trip Reports (14)

Post by MaryinColorado »

Difficult to read, and how tragic for her parents and community - but what a spectacular young lady she was to be such that she left a legacy for the ages despite her youth. Thank you for sharing. <3