Permits Required for Maroon-Snowmass Camping in 2023

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
thebeave7
14ers: 58 
13ers: 127
Trip Reports (25)

Re: Permits Required for Maroon-Snowmass Camping in 2023

Post by thebeave7 »

Darwinism... If someone wants to risk their life, that's their choice, until SAR has to go rescue them (which is terrible for SAR). There's always going to be stupid people in the mountains, we'll never change that, and the reasons just shift with time.

Eric
Me fail English? That's unpossible. http://www.ericjlee.com/Blogs
Istoodupthere
14ers: 43  1 
13ers: 27 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Istoodupthere »

Narcissists….Plenty of them in the mountains as well.
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

Got to love people who book campsites on Rec.gov and have no idea what they are doing... ](*,)

MaroonBellsPermit.jpg
MaroonBellsPermit.jpg (134.33 KiB) Viewed 1029 times
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

IntrepidXJ wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:37 am Got to love people who book campsites on Rec.gov and have no idea what they are doing... ](*,)

MaroonBellsPermit.pg
This is absolutely terrible.

#PrayForTheInstagrammers
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

HikerGuy wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:37 pm You can start the Four Pass Loop just as easily from Schofield Pass.
That is how i plan to do it.
sfreytag
14ers: 52 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by sfreytag »

ltlFish99 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:54 pm
HikerGuy wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:37 pm You can start the Four Pass Loop just as easily from Schofield Pass.
Sure, but you still need a permit if a ranger stops you. You probably reduce the chance of being stopped if you start from Schofield or Lead King Basin TH. Rangers are crawling all over Crater Lake and you could easily be stopped there. Definitely don't camp near Crater Lake if you are ridin' dirty without a permit
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

ScottLovesRMNP wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:45 pm
Awesome! Time to start researching my new options, as I'm not too familiar with that area. I've got a Toyota Corolla, so I hope that won't be a problem :-) But yes, I'll look into what options are available, and I'm willing to hike a few extra miles if I have to -- thanks!
I'd be a *little* leery of taking a Corolla to Schofield Park. If the Gothic road is open, it should be fairly do-able, but if you have to come over Paradise Divide from Slate River it might be a bit hairier.
ltlFish99
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

If i recall correctly, a permit us only required for overnight stays.
If people are day tripping the 4 pass loop, as many do, then a permit is not required.
Please correct me if I an wrong.
ltlFish99
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

sfreytag wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:23 pm
ltlFish99 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:54 pm
Sure, but you still need a permit if a ranger stops you. You probably reduce the chance of being stopped if you start from Schofield or Lead King Basin TH. Rangers are crawling all over Crater Lake and you could easily be stopped there. Definitely don't camp near Crater Lake if you are ridin' dirty without a permit
If i recall correctly, a permit us only required for overnight stays.
If people are day tripping the 4 pass loop, as many do, then a permit is not required.
madmattd
14ers: 37  14 
13ers: 81 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by madmattd »

ltlFish99 wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:34 pm If i recall correctly, a permit us only required for overnight stays.
Permits are for camping only - so not applicable to day-trippers. Other than a parking permit possibly, depending on your starting point.
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

Also, there are two different zones for camping near the Maroon Bells, under the MAROON BELLS-SNOWMASS WILDERNESS area, on the recreation site.
Crater Zone - covers the 11 different campsites near Crater Lake. Crater Lake sites 1 - 11.
Maroon Zone - covers dispersed camping in that area. Maroon Zone small group (1-4 people) and Maroon Zone large group (5-10 people).

Refer to the map for these zones. However, by looking at the map it's not clear where the exact boundary lines are for these two zones. I am assuming that the Crater Zone is for camping in the reserved campsite spots. And the Maroon Zone is anywhere outside those sites.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 083862.pdf
I should be on a mountain
timewarp01
14ers: 55  10 
13ers: 45 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by timewarp01 »

I threw together a caltopo map for a friend of the FPL and its various zones for this year that should be a bit easier to navigate than the forest service one. I've also marked the several trailheads that access the area, as well as a couple of nearby camping spots that will not require a reservation to spend a night just off the loop. Hope somebody will find it useful!

https://caltopo.com/m/HB77G