Recreational Access Bill (SB 58) Clears Colorado Senate!

Information on current and past 14er closures, usually due to private property issues.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
yardman
14ers: 48  2  3 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Recreational Access Bill (SB 58) Clears Colorado Senate!

Post by yardman »

The Colorado Senate this morning approved passage of SB 58 without debate. Passage of the bill is a key first step to potentially reopening closed 14ers and other important recreational destinations on private lands that have been closed or required access waivers due to landowner liability fears. The bill was developed by the Fix CRUS Coalition in consultation with the trial lawyers association. Rather than fight over the liability standard, which failed in two recent sessions, SB 58 more clearly outlines responsibilities of private landowners regarding notifying recreationists of known hazards on their property, determining authorized access points and defining what recreational activities are allowed and at what times. Addressing these issues is vital to providing landowners with clarity regarding their duty to "guard or warn" of potentially dangerous conditions, which in turn lessens their liability exposure under the Colorado Recreational Use Statute.

The bill now moves on to the Colorado House of Representatives, where it will be introduced and a hearing will be held. With luck we'll have another committee hearing in which testimony was overwhelmingly in support of the bill, it passed out of committee on a unanimous vote and was placed on the "consent calendar" for non-controversial bills.

Assuming the bill gets approved by the Legislature and signed by Governor Polis, we will then need to work with landowners regarding posting signage, alerting the public to the approved access points and conditions on accessing these private lands. It will take some time, but everything appears to be headed in a positive direction. Learn more at fixcrus.org.

Lloyd Athearn
Executive Director, Colorado Fourteeners Initiative
Executive Committee Member, Fix CRUS Coalition
Attachments
SB58 Senate Passage.jpg
SB58 Senate Passage.jpg (188.54 KiB) Viewed 5312 times
Briere
14ers: 47  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Recreational Access Bill (SB 58) Clears Colorado Senate!

Post by Briere »

Excellent to hear! What’s the rough estimate on timing for the future stages if things go somewhat according to the ideal path?
yardman
14ers: 48  2  3 
13ers: 17
Trip Reports (0)

Post by yardman »

What’s the rough estimate on timing for the future stages if things go somewhat according to the ideal path?
I was a day ahead of myself. Yesterday's vote was just a "second reading." Not to worry. The bill passed the full Senate on this morning's "third reading" by a 28-0 vote. Several additional members added their names as sponsors, which provides even more bipartisan support.

The best guess is that the bill gets introduced in the House early in the week of 2/5 and then has a hearing in the House (likely Judiciary Committee) the week of 2/12. We're early in the process and the bill appears to be moving quickly. That's the best guess after chatting with our lobby team.
Briere
14ers: 47  1 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Briere »

Great to hear! I'd love to be able to do Lindsey in the future so this gives some hope!
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Bill reached governor today. Sometimes Polis likes to put on a show when signing a law. Perhaps on top of a 14er. πŸ˜€
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

peter303 wrote: ↑Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:01 am Bill reached governor today. Sometimes Polis likes to put on a show when signing a law. Perhaps on top of a 14er. πŸ˜€
I read this as "Bill Middlebrook reached governor today." I thought he was reaching out on behalf of the community to lobby arrange a showboat bill signing.
My questionable brainpower aside punctuation and complete sentences matter when one attempts work out meaning okay

It'd have to be Pike's or Evans. Polis ain't hiking. Wilderness and helicopters don't go together well, either.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Matt wrote: ↑Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:40 pm It'd have to be Pike's or Evans. Polis ain't hiking. Wilderness and helicopters don't go together well, either.
Off topic I guess, but I thought he did hike. He cut the ribbon on top of Fiushers Peak last November, so I just assumed he hiked there (16 miles round trip). Did he take a helicopter up there?
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
madbuck
Trip Reports (6)

Post by madbuck »

Scott P wrote: ↑Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:01 pm
Matt wrote: ↑Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:40 pm It'd have to be Pike's or Evans. Polis ain't hiking. Wilderness and helicopters don't go together well, either.
Off topic I guess, but I thought he did hike. He cut the ribbon on top of Fiushers Peak last November, so I just assumed he hiked there (16 miles round trip). Did he take a helicopter up there?
That led into a rabbit hole for me, but I think it's likely he hiked just the summit section.
ballardwf04
14ers: 53  1 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by ballardwf04 »

Seems as though Polis signed SB24-058! Great news for the community. Do we know anything about how the landowners of Lindsey and Bross will respond to this, or a timeline for their (hopeful) reopening?

https://leg.colorado.gov/bills/sb24-058
"In these days he went out to the mountain to pray, and all night he continued in prayer to God."
Luke 6:12
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 165 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

ballardwf04 wrote: ↑Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:05 am Seems as though Polis signed SB24-058! Great news for the community. Do we know anything about how the landowners of Lindsey and Bross will respond to this, or a timeline for their (hopeful) reopening?

https://leg.colorado.gov/bills/sb24-058
Bross won't reopen. The issue there is too many fractional owners to even figure out who owns it, let alone get all to buy in to allowing recreational access.

You are probably asking about the others in the Decabilron Loop. Democrat was sold and transferred to the USFS last year, but Lincoln and Cameron are still held privately. Given the landowner was very vocal about his support of this bill I'd expect those to remain open (they were still opened prior to the bill passage, just with an additional waiver needed).

Last I heard the owners of Lindsey had ceased contact with CFI. Hopefully that has changed, but its also possible that Lindsey remains closed.
Matt
14ers: 58 
13ers: 208
Trip Reports (32)

Post by Matt »

madbuck wrote: ↑Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:12 pm
That led into a rabbit hole for me, but I think it's likely he hiked just the summit section.
I just noticed that Scott took time to call my comment "off topic." :lol:
Let's discuss his kid, the food he makes for his wife, or scroll past a whole page of goals for a year again.
Live and let live.
We are all greater artists than we realize -FWN
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -HDT
Peak List
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

Matt wrote: ↑Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:01 am
madbuck wrote: ↑Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:12 pm

I just noticed that Scott took time to call my comment "off topic." :lol:
Let's discuss his kid, the food he makes for his wife, or scroll past a whole page of goals for a year again.
Live and let live.
I meant my comment might be off topic from the thread.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.