Looking for partners/permits Maroon Bells or Capitol mid July

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
DiamondCutter
14ers: 55  7  7 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Looking for partners/permits Maroon Bells or Capitol mid July

Post by DiamondCutter »

I am looking to do the Maroon Bells Traverse and/or Capitol Peak July 11th-13th with one other partner as of now. We don't haver permits secured so we are currently considering Moon Lake approach for Capitol, or maybe daytrip Capitol Ditch Trail. I don't think we would shoot for the traverse unless there is a camping permit or a 24hr parking permit that we could join. If anyone has an extra space they're willing to share for either location, we'd be very grateful to be able to join. I may also be able to go a day early or try the following Monday/Tuesday 15th-16th if there is better luck for those days. I'll watch for cancellations in meantime, but not holding my breath on that. This would be the last of the 4 traverses for both of us, and these are my last 3 peaks to complete the CO 14ers :-D
timewarp01
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 50 2
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Looking for partners/permits Maroon Bells or Capitol mid July

Post by timewarp01 »

I've got a midnight to midnight parking pass for Maroon Bells on July 12 that you're welcome to use! I might be heading to Chicago Basin that week instead. If the weather doesn't look good for CB I'd be happy to do the Bells Traverse with you; I've already done it twice before.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 161 29
Trip Reports (71)

Post by daway8 »

Adding this tidbit here too since a lot of people don't seem to know that you don't have to rely on cancellations or having snagged a parking reservation when they first became available...
Screenshot_20240615-200604.png
Screenshot_20240615-200604.png (122.99 KiB) Viewed 980 times
DiamondCutter
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DiamondCutter »

Thanks for the replies! If a backpacking permit option doesn't open up (or have space to join), then I'll either plan to snag a midnight-midnight pass 3 days prior (I hadn't seen that option before so thanks for adding that info) or will just go for Capitol.
Colorado-Hawaii
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Colorado-Hawaii »

timewarp01 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:59 pm I've got a midnight to midnight parking pass for Maroon Bells on July 12 that you're welcome to use! I might be heading to Chicago Basin that week instead. If the weather doesn't look good for CB I'd be happy to do the Bells Traverse with you; I've already done it twice before.
Hello Timewarp, I'm looking at the Maroon Bells challenge for July 13 or 14th weather depending. I might take you up on the parking pass if it's still available. I'm currently planning to go with my son. I'm not sure of which route is best to plan for with snow levels, etc. If you're going up we might like to partner if possible.
DiamondCutter
Trip Reports (0)

Post by DiamondCutter »

update...

Our current plan is to shoot for capitol peak on 7/13. We plan to camp at the creek crossing outside the permit zone on 7/12 unless a reservation/space opens up at capitol lake. We'll likely do the direct ridge route from the daly/k2 saddle. Happy to link up with others especially if it means we can share camp :-D
timewarp01
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 50 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by timewarp01 »

Colorado-Hawaii wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:22 am
timewarp01 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:59 pm I've got a midnight to midnight parking pass for Maroon Bells on July 12 that you're welcome to use! I might be heading to Chicago Basin that week instead. If the weather doesn't look good for CB I'd be happy to do the Bells Traverse with you; I've already done it twice before.
Hello Timewarp, I'm looking at the Maroon Bells challenge for July 13 or 14th weather depending. I might take you up on the parking pass if it's still available. I'm currently planning to go with my son. I'm not sure of which route is best to plan for with snow levels, etc. If you're going up we might like to partner if possible.
It's all yours! I won't know if I can come with until we get close enough to check the weather