Colorado's best "on the d/l" scrambles

Colorado peak questions, condition requests and other info.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
    For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Re: Colorado's best "on the d/l" scrambles

Post by Monster5 »

Heck yeah, Notchtop Spire is awesome. I've done a few routes on there and descended the ridge. While short, it is high quality and not trivial. I'd say highly exposed 4th via easiest path, perhaps 5.easy and rope recommended for gaining the Spire summit.

Also, Jomah and I scrambled up Sunset Ridge (5.4) and down Guide's Ridge (5.0) on Mt. Crested Butte a couple weeks ago. Those were pretty cool. Sunset was more sustained, involved, and quality, but I haven't a clue where the original 5.7 rating came from. Guide's had an optional very narrow knife that could bump it to 5.4. Super cool, but quite short.

I thought I did another scramble late summer, but I can't remember which route or month. I'm getting old. Not gonna lie though, the Flatirons are generally longer and cooler than most of the stuff on here, though I find them a bit repetitive sometimes and way too hot most of the time.

Re: Crescent access - I recall crossing the creek at a curve dirt parking pullout and starting up the nearest prominent rib? Perhaps 5 min of bushwack talus and homeless tent avoidance.
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
Runner342
14ers: 6 
13ers: 20
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Runner342 »

Another few I thought about...

Ships Prow Tower. Definitely not worth a trip just for that but easily accessed if you're hitting up Longs on a route that tops out on the Loft. A very short but fun scramble to the summit that hits low 5. The register I found had 16 signatures since 2003...

I enjoyed McHenry's via Stone Man's Pass although I've heard coming from Arrowhead is even better. We had a fun time route finding on that one for sure. Class 4 maybe. Probably my favorite RMNP 13'er.

Ogalalla via the ridge from Elk Tooth was a fun scramble although suboptimal route finding made it kinda loose in spots.

"Thunder Peak" near Estes Cone and "Lightning Peak" in RMNP has some super fun spires leading up to the summit from class 3-5, you can get in as much or little scrambling as you like on them. A fun challenge is to see how long you can stay on the "ridgeline" - we had to chicken out of a few of the downclimbs and go off the sides instead.

The ridge from Cracktop to Mt. Julian looked like a lot of fun, but as we were trying to go fast we went low and missed the goodies on that one. It's basically in the middle of nowhere so make sure you've got some clear weather if you take your time there.

Another fun looking ridge I missed was Hagues to Rowes. Skipped that one as I was solo, but man did it look good.

Gotta chime in that I also loved the Flatirons for the couple times I was there. Did a couple routes up the second, and a link up of the Spy to the summit of the First. Really gotta recommend that one, the first few feet of the downclimb are very exposed and exciting, but super solid jugs.
bfrieden
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bfrieden »

Doing some research to plan some summer climbs, but was looking for a little input.

How does Arrowhead/McHenry/Shelf Cirque Traverse compare with Flatiron scrambling?

I've really enjoyed scrambling in the flatirons (the second, angel's way, Regency, Buckets, etc.) and was wondering how these compared in difficulty. I've done the arapahoe traverse and tacked on some 5th class by climbing the gendarmes and thought that was fun too. Just don't want to get in over my head up there.

Thanks!
pbakwin
14ers: 56 
13ers: 64
Trip Reports (19)

Post by pbakwin »

bfrieden wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 10:02 pm How does Arrowhead/McHenry/Shelf Cirque Traverse compare with Flatiron scrambling?

I've really enjoyed scrambling in the flatirons (the second, angel's way, Regency, Buckets, etc.) and was wondering how these compared in difficulty. I've done the arapahoe traverse and tacked on some 5th class by climbing the gendarmes and thought that was fun too. Just don't want to get in over my head up there.
That’s in the 4th class range, so similar in difficulty to the Flatirons routes you mention, but certainly much more committing because of the remoteness, and more challenging route finding. It’s easy to get into harder terrain if you mess up the route finding. Otherwise, really fun stuff! McHenry’s - Thatchtop is a long, exposed, spectacular scramble.
Monster5
14ers: 58  31 
13ers: 289 37
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Monster5 »

The style is quite different; as Peter said, more committing, airy, and consequential if not as sustained as a typical Flatty jaunt. Plus blocky instead of slabby.
It's been several years, but I thought the crux between Arrowhead and McHenry's was a bit more difficult than any of the Flatty routes listed, or perhaps on par with that minor headwall towards the top of Angel's Way. Someone had added a (perhaps rotten?) webbing loop to grab at the crux on the McHenry's side. Also, I might've been gripped at the time as I was waaay off route going up Arrowhead.

Crux about 3/4 up McHenry's. Sept. 25, 2012:
"The road to alpine climbing is pocked and poorly marked, ending at an unexpectedly closed gate 5 miles from the trailhead." - MP user Beckerich
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

All of the best "on the d/l" scrambles in Colorado are in Wyoming.

:mrgreen:
bfrieden
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bfrieden »

Has anyone been on the Shelf Cirque Traverse recently? I'm wondering if it's melted out yet or if there are still snowfields in the way.

I'm considering either the full traverse or just Arrowhead and McHenry in a week or two.

For those who have done it, is the whole route comparable in difficulty, or does the Powell to Thatchtop traverse up the ante?
timewarp01
14ers: 55  10 
13ers: 45 2
Trip Reports (5)

Post by timewarp01 »

bfrieden wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:17 pm Has anyone been on the Shelf Cirque Traverse recently? I'm wondering if it's melted out yet or if there are still snowfields in the way.

I'm considering either the full traverse or just Arrowhead and McHenry in a week or two.

For those who have done it, is the whole route comparable in difficulty, or does the Powell to Thatchtop traverse up the ante?
A friend and I did Arrowhead a few weeks ago, on July 12. Based on the register, ours was the first recorded ascent this year. The route was mostly clear but there was a steep snow gulley sitting at the top of the valley wall climb before Shelf Lake. We were able to circumvent most of it by bushwhacking to the left of the chute, but it should be a lot smaller by now. There was still snow in the bowl after Shelf and Solitude Lake was still frozen, but the route up Arrowhead is melted out. I took some pics of the arete to McHenry's but we didn't go any further than Arrowhead. As far as the whole traverse goes, Powell to Thatchtop has an exposed class 5 pitch which can be done without a rope, but is certainly more technical then Arrowhead-McHenry's.

Arete to McHenry's from the Arrowhead saddle

Taylor peeking up behind the Powell-Thatchtop ridge

Closeup of the arete

Bonus glamour shot of Longs

Also, I want to second the previous mention of the Cracktop-Julian ridgeline. Very fun class 3, with the option for a more 4/5 route if you want. You have to cross 4 other 12ers to get to it though so it makes for a pretty long day. Adding on Terra Tomah is easy but not really worth it imo. Took me 11 hours for 15 miles RT and ~5500 ft of gain last year.

Julian after descending Cracktop

Looking back from the summit of Julian at Cracktop and Chief Cheley, with Highest Lake in the bowl

3/4 ridgeline to Cracktop. You can go as steep as you're comfortable with, just cut around to the left when it gets too technical.

Closeup of the line with Ida in the background
greatzak
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greatzak »

I'm definitely stoked to get on some more epic ridgeline scrambles. I completed the 14er traverses last season and just about to finish the 14ers with one left. Always a lot harder to figure out what mountains to set my eyes on without a formal guidebook but I've gotten some great ideas off of this forum! Looking to hit up some good ones as we approach the summer conditions 🤘Thanks for all the ideas and ratings behind them.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Wichita’s “Falcon Ridge” from the N10mi TH in Frisco.
Attachments
High above Frisco
High above Frisco
5940882F-3729-4CF0-A0EF-1236C6DF19AB.jpeg (355.51 KiB) Viewed 2626 times
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
jibler
14ers: 13 
13ers: 35
Trip Reports (18)

Post by jibler »

no one's got time for Lover's Leap off 285 anymore?

that trail is seriously overgrown last time was up there.
Keep looking up - Jack Horkheimer
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

jibler wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:09 pm no one's got time for Lover's Leap off 285 anymore?

that trail is seriously overgrown last time was up there.
I've done that like...6-7 times? Used it once when I was instructing for the CMC. But alas (a) it's not alpine so it doesn't exist in CO :lol: , and (b) it's probably not in many (any?) recent guidebooks. A fun climb, for sure.

-Tom