Camping Near Quandary Trailhead

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
Please do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website. For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Bull
14ers: 16
Trip Reports (1)

Camping Near Quandary Trailhead

Post by Bull »

I've searched the forum and only found a few references to any dispersed camping near Quandary Trailhead, and also saw the info on the parking issues.

Does anyone know if there are dispersed camping spots up near the Blue Lakes Trailhead. It looks like there might be some places near the body of water below the damn of Blue Lake on Google maps. I was hoping we could get away from the main trailhead a bit but still be close for an early morning start. Does anyone know if that is all private land or have other ideas?

Our backup is to camp at Four Mile campground near Fairplay, but that is about an hour away.

Thanks,
Brett
tjf242424
14ers: 58
13ers: 259

Re: Camping Near Quandary Trailhead

Post by tjf242424 »

You can find dispersed camping on the 851 road past the trailhead. If I remember correctly, we drove about 2 mi past the trailhead, towards McCullough Gulch, and found a very nice spot.
scoutbuff1

Post by scoutbuff1 »

I, too, am looking for dispersed camping ivo the TH. Looking at a variety of maps and images, it appears there are numerous social trails from 851 to join up with the East Ridge route. Has anyone camped in this area (SW of 851)? Thanks...
Dakota
14ers: 24

Post by Dakota »

tjf242424 wrote:You can find dispersed camping on the 851 road past the trailhead. If I remember correctly, we drove about 2 mi past the trailhead, towards McCullough Gulch, and found a very nice spot.
Hi all,

Is this still pretty good advice? The thread didn't seem to catch much traction and I am thinking about going up there tomorrow night. Just curious if there are any known changes.

Thanks in advance.
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein
scoutbuff1

Post by scoutbuff1 »

You should be good to go, particularly on a weekday evening. I suspect the thread didn't get much due to the popularity of the area... Safe travels... -Scoutbuff1
Mtnman200
14ers: 58 1
13ers: 396 1
Trip Reports (79)

Post by Mtnman200 »

You can also camp at Hoosier Pass, where there are plenty of dispersed camping options. From there it's two or three miles to the Quandary TH.
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
Dakota
14ers: 24

Post by Dakota »

scoutbuff1 wrote:You should be good to go, particularly on a weekday evening. I suspect the thread didn't get much due to the popularity of the area... Safe travels... -Scoutbuff1
Mtnman200 wrote:You can also camp at Hoosier Pass, where there are plenty of dispersed camping options. From there it's two or three miles to the Quandary TH.

Sweet, thanks a bunch!
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.
-Albert Einstein
peter303
14ers: 34
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

Much of the area at the base of Quandry and Hwy 9 are vacation homes, so you cant pull off anywhere. As other people had said Hoosier Pass and 851 have dispersed camping.

Another camping option are the four forest service camprounds surrounding Lake Dillion about 30 minutes away. Quandry is such quick hike that breaking camp at first light is more than enough time to beat storms.