Grays and Torrey parking tickets

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
ECF55
14ers: 7 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Grays and Torrey parking tickets

Post by ECF55 »

Thanks everyone for the comments. This all makes sense.

I'm definitely of the opinion that trail hiking > road hiking >>> obnoxious washboards, and a little more vertical on the approach is always welcome as long as I'm not trying to catch an afternoon flight that same day.

We'll see what we can pull together.
Cruiser
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Cruiser »

Fwiw, I've always offered rides to anyone I saw hiking up these 4wd roads to trailheads when I was driving up or down and I don't think I'm unique in that. So, if you do end up parking at the highway, don't be afraid to put your thumb out as you're strolling along the road.
Where ever you are... There you are.
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:12 pm I will be emailing the Sheriff and county to discuss.

Hikers come from all over to hike G/T and they get there at 5 in the morning to find parking issues. Are they supposed to just leave? There has to be a better option.

This isn't 100% about safety and keeping the road clear, the county appears to be using it as a money grab.

Agree
Jay521
14ers: 42  10 
13ers: 175 22
Trip Reports (56)

Post by Jay521 »

Cruiser wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:12 pm Fwiw, I've always offered rides to anyone I saw hiking up these 4wd roads to trailheads when I was driving up or down and I don't think I'm unique in that. So, if you do end up parking at the highway, don't be afraid to put your thumb out as you're strolling along the road.
+1. I do the same thing
I take the mountain climber's approach to housekeeping - don't look down
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

There are 5 or 6 parking spots at the Grizzly Gulch turnoff 1 mile up the road. From there you can avoid the crowds and hike Ganley Mountain to Grays or Baker Mountain to Torreys.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point