Durable boots/runners with good traction?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
pleiades
14ers: 5 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Durable boots/runners with good traction?

Post by pleiades »

I'm looking for a new pair of, hopefully, durable boots or trail runners. It may be user error, but I seem to be going through boots like crazy.
Last summer, I went through two pairs of Topos Trailventures (the first pair broke at the shaft while hiking Ben Tyler, the second had loose seams after a hike or two).
I just got a pair of Salomon Quest 4Ds... the seams are coming apart after a hike up Grizzly D. I tried some Adidas Terrex boots, but they were too narrow at the top.
I did a couple of 14ers in my Lone Peaks, and while I think they are the right fit, I tend to feel every rock, and the stability/traction isn't what I would want.
The stickiness and grip of La Sportiva sounds great on paper, but they tend to only fit half of my foot.
I'd love to find something that would give me width, traction, and stability, so I can maybe try my first class 3s this summer.
yaktoleft13
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 264 22
Trip Reports (21)

Re: Durable boots/runners with good traction?

Post by yaktoleft13 »

Maybe try altra trail runners? Can't speak to their stickiness, but I have their normal runners and they're super wide toe box. My wife uses their trail runners for all mountain things, including scrambling
Edwin Supple
14ers: 17  2 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Edwin Supple »

pleiades wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:48 pm I'm looking for a new pair of, hopefully, durable boots or trail runners. It may be user error, but I seem to be going through boots like crazy.
Last summer, I went through two pairs of Topos Trailventures (the first pair broke at the shaft while hiking Ben Tyler, the second had loose seams after a hike or two).
I just got a pair of Salomon Quest 4Ds... the seams are coming apart after a hike up Grizzly D. I tried some Adidas Terrex boots, but they were too narrow at the top.
I did a couple of 14ers in my Lone Peaks, and while I think they are the right fit, I tend to feel every rock, and the stability/traction isn't what I would want.
The stickiness and grip of La Sportiva sounds great on paper, but they tend to only fit half of my foot.
I'd love to find something that would give me width, traction, and stability, so I can maybe try my first class 3s this summer.
I had some Altra King MTs, followed by the King MT 2 (or 1.5? not sure). Anyway, they were pretty sticky with Vibram megagrip but I would not call them durable. If you love the altra fit it might be worth putting up with their relative fragility. And still, they were better than what you describe on the Topos and the Quests.

Which La Spo models did you try? The bushido is way too narrow in the heel for me but I hear some other models have a better last for wide feet. I'm currently rocking some Scarpa spin 2.0s and the stickiness is great (megagrip as well) but the durability is meh. Better than the altra's but some disappointing quick peels in spots between the lower and the upper. Previous to that I had some scarpa neutrons (discontinued) which were both excellently sticky (megagrip) and great build quality. Wore those down til the tread was fully gone. For more chill trail running I've used various Cascadias from 5-14 but the rubber on all of them is trash for scrambling.

Basically I would make sure to get megagrip soles, or I guess La Spo's friXion or whatever they call it. Then just find the shoe that fits your foot.
osprey
14ers: 52  16 
13ers: 144 17
Trip Reports (9)

Post by osprey »

Consider La Sportiva Karacal. They are a stable mountain runner with good rock protection and have a wider toe box than the other mountain runners in the La Sportiva line. I have done four class 2 13ers in them this summer so am unable to comment on class 3 but the shoes have FriXion AT 2.0 sticky rubber soles so they should be ok for class3.
Last edited by osprey on Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl

“I breathed in the air on the summit and liked it better than the air below.”
Conor
14ers: 41  6  6 
13ers: 51 1 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Conor »

pleiades wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:48 pm I'm looking for a new pair of, hopefully, durable boots or trail runners. It may be user error, but I seem to be going through boots like crazy.
You just have to find what works for you. I plan to only get about 200-250 trail miles out of a pair of trail runners. My altra lone peaks were awful and only lasted 100 miles.

La sportiva shoes fit the bill, but like you, they are torture to wear as their toe box is narrow.

I've personally landed on saucony peregrines, and go through a couple pair a year. I'm comfortable scrambling in them up to low 5th. My personal opinion on needing sticky rubber to do 3rd/4th class stuff, you're not ready.
nickm
14ers: 33 
13ers: 285
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nickm »

As you have figured out the new Salomon Quest 4D's are garbage. I went through 2 pair last year. I was only able to get 2 hikes out of each before the toe caps started separating. I finally, after over a decade of using Salomon's gave up on them. I liked the fact that they were comfortable and grippy. After a lot of research I ended up with a pair of Lowa Renegades, and a pair of Scarpa Zodiac Plus GTX. Wow, my only regret was that I had not changed sooner. The Lowa's are very similar to the Salomon's (great all around boot) other than they are much better quality. The Scarpa's are my new go to for scrambling and rocky terrain. An amazing combination of solid and grippy! Just be careful not to over tighten the laces over the top of your foot with the Scarpa's. I would estimate that I have at least 30 peaks on each. The Scarpa's are holding up unbelievably well. I am just now starting to see a bit of seam separation on the Lowa's.

Nick
Aphelion
14ers: 58  17 
13ers: 48
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Aphelion »

Durability and stickiness are in general opposite ends of a spectrum. Any shoe is going to be some sort of compromise between the two. But you don't need sticky rubber shoes to do class 3. If you want a compromise a bit on the stickier end of the spectrum, maybe look into Salewa? They tend to fit the narrow heel / wider toe box you've described looking for, and I like their Ultra Train series as trail runners (although you will want to use Shoe Goo or Aquaseal around the edge of the sole, it tends to start peeling away with use).
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

I've had good luck with La sportiva raptors and older versions of North face hedgehog XCR
emgordon_II
14ers: 30 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by emgordon_II »

Love the Scarpa trail runners I got at Bentgate. I’ve completed Mummy Mania and scrambled Kit Carson North ridge with them. My daily shoes are a pair of evolv approach shoes that I wear on short hikes also.
ElvisNStahlman
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ElvisNStahlman »

altra trail runners are really very good..you must try that.

camping tents
Last edited by ElvisNStahlman on Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
vertical_volume
14ers: 55  1  1 
13ers: 110
Trip Reports (0)

Post by vertical_volume »

La Sportiva Bushidos have a very nice blend of everything you encounter in Colorado imo. The shoe, out of the box is a little stiff and tight on the upper mid-foot and it steered me away for awhile. But it loosens up very nicely as you get to using them.

The upper and lower hold up extremely well in all Colorado terrain (I.e. scree, solid rock scrambling, grass, whatever) and the outer lugs and lower profile make it a *good* shoe for scrambling. Further, the low profile of the shoe gives me confident control in uneven terrain, but you don’t get that Rocky feel like you would the Lone peaks because it does have a rock plate it in, nor does it feel like you’re wearing high heels (salomons) with a respectable 6mm heel drop. I have 170 miles on my first pair, all in rocky Colorado terrain and the shoe itself has held up, but it will get demoted to strictly class 3/2 soon as the lugs are wearing down (solely my own confidence in the shoe, you could scramble in it for another 200 miles imo) and I’ll use my new pair for 4/5. There are better scrambling shoes, but like others have mentioned it comes at a sacrifice to something else, like comfort or durability.
Runnin around - Rob_e179
dan0rama
14ers: 26  5 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dan0rama »

Salomons are annoying coz they are ultra comfortable out of the box, but their uppers don't last long. Maybe that's the trade off. Sportiva's european mold doesn't fit me well. So I got a pair of low cut Oboz last winter. They are incredibly sturdy, lots of support and traction, but also incredibly uncomfortable out of the box. After 5 months of breaking in, I can now recommend them.