Durable boots/runners with good traction?

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Re: Durable boots/runners with good traction?

Post by nyker »

To the above point, Asolo Fugitive boots felt great, though the soles would come apart pretty quickly while the uppers remained like new. Shame since the boots were comfortable and wearable out of the box. Few shoemakers wanted to try and fix them calling them disposable boots and self fixes with store bought sole glues didn't work well. They are also pricy now, ~$300, but maybe they've fixed the sole issue from older models.
Jon Frohlich
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

nyker wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:58 pm To the above point, Asolo Fugitive boots felt great, though the soles would come apart pretty quickly while the uppers remained like new. Shame since the boots were comfortable and wearable out of the box. Few shoemakers wanted to try and fix them calling them disposable boots and self fixes with store bought sole glues didn't work well. They are also pricy now, ~$300, but maybe they've fixed the sole issue from older models.
Specifically regarding Asolo boots they more or less have two 'tiers' of soles. Ones labeled GTX are made with some pretty awful (in my opinion) soles. Ones labeled GV are made with Vibram soles and are higher quality boots. I won't buy any Asolo boot that isn't GV.
nyker
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Okay that's good to know. The versions I was referring to were the fugitive GTX. Not the burlier models
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

I agree with others that Salomon trail runners are no longer durable enough to recommend. Both their uppers and soles wear out quickly. Sportiva’s shoes are all over the map, with some models much better than others. I found the Mutants and Ultra Raptors quite durable, while Kaptivas are great scrambling shoes but wear quickly.

The main thing is to never pay more than $100 for trail runners, but don’t get the down-market models. Shoe “technology” is not advancing, so last year’s high-end model is at least as good as this year’s.
Skimo95
14ers: 58  13  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

I found the spire GTX to have a slightly larger toe box than the TX4’s. I absolutely love LS and will continue to pay the premium. Good luck finding a boot that fits :thumbup:

Seano, which LS runners do you recommend in the $110< range

People are wearing HOKAs nowadays, but I can’t comment on them.
JaredJohnson
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by JaredJohnson »

I tried on a number of different sizes of every(?) shoe in the TX series - TX2, TX3, TX4, TX Guide, and then briefly tested like three different variations on the rock wall. I can testify that every one had a different sort of fit. I was hoping to go on the lighter end but the TX4 ended up fitting me the best by far. They've done incredibly well and climb incredibly well. There are other great shoes but taking some time to find a good fit in the TX line could be very rewarding.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Post by seano »

Skimo95 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:24 am Seano, which LS runners do you recommend in the $110< range

People are wearing HOKAs nowadays, but I can’t comment on them.
I’d recommend being patient and waiting to find Mutants or Kaptivas on sale - that’s what I do.

And Hokas are fine for running in straight lines on gravel roads. Garbage for anything else. 😉
pleiades
14ers: 5 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pleiades »

Thanks for the feedback, everybody. I really appreciate it.
Ultra Raptor boot and Bushidos: too narrow. REI didn’t have the Karacals.
Scarpa Zodiac: surprisingly tight, I really wanted to like this one.
Asolo drifter: good fit - but need to do some more research on durability… I think this is the GV sole
Zamberlan Vioz: wow… best fit so far, but haven’t seen many reviews
Was going to try a Lowa at REI today and then decide.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

The LS Ultra Raptor II Mid does come in wide sizes.

My LS pick is the Akasha II - just a nice all rounder with a wide for LS toebox. Upper does promote breathability over durability though. I Seam Grip the uppers in problem areas before taking them out.

(also LS shill)
Altitude High
14ers: 26 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Altitude High »

nickm wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:47 pm After a lot of research I ended up with a pair of Lowa Renegades, and a pair of Scarpa Zodiac Plus GTX. . . . The Scarpas are my new go to for scrambling and rocky terrain. An amazing combination of solid and grippy!
I have wide feet. My street shoe size is EE or EEE. I also have moderate bunions on both feet, right behind the big toe (from wearing shoes that were too narrow when I was younger). So I need some extra height too.

I'm looking at the Scarpa Zodiac Plus GTX. Some reviews say it has a "wider" toe box, but that may not be from the perspective of someone with truly wide feet.

Has anyone with wide feet used the Scarpa Zodiac? If so, how many sizes up did you have to go to have enough room in the front?
pleiades
14ers: 5 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pleiades »

Altitude High wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:45 am
nickm wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:47 pm After a lot of research I ended up with a pair of Lowa Renegades, and a pair of Scarpa Zodiac Plus GTX. . . . The Scarpas are my new go to for scrambling and rocky terrain. An amazing combination of solid and grippy!

Has anyone with wide feet used the Scarpa Zodiac? If so, how many sizes up did you have to go to have enough room in the front?
I tried on a pair of Zodiacs at REI. They felt a lot narrower than I anticipated, similar to a TX4 approach shoe. I was really surprised at how they felt, especially since reviews describe them as being "wider".
Altitude High
14ers: 26 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Altitude High »

pleiades wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:33 amI tried on a pair of Zodiacs at REI. They felt a lot narrower than I anticipated, similar to a TX4 approach shoe. I was really surprised at how they felt, especially since reviews describe them as being "wider".
That's all too common for people with wide feet. The best products are usually not available. All about costs, I guess.

Also, I sent an email to Scarpa today, and they replied:

"Hi Steve,

Thank you for reaching out. We are glad to hear that you are interested in our Zodiac Plus GTX boots, however they unfortunately do not come in Wides. The boots will be a D width.

We do have two types of boots available in Wides: the Kailash Plus and Kailash Trek. That being said, they will only come in at an E width, and not an EE or EEE.

We apologize that we cannot help out more, but we wish you the best of luck with finding your perfect boots!

Best ..."

I think I'll start a separate thread about boots for people with wide feet.