Crestones accident yesterday

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Mountainsroam_2012
14ers: 58 
13ers: 37
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Crestones accident yesterday

Post by Mountainsroam_2012 »

RIP to the fallen climber, and sorry to the family and friends for their loss..
ClimbingFool
14ers: 58 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ClimbingFool »

My partner and I descended from the traverse just before we saw the helicopter circling the area. I understand how easy it can be to get off route. My deepest condolences and blessings of peace to the family and friends of the deceased.
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

When we did it, I have to admit it was a bit of a guess whether we were at that last crux move. I was def worried we were in the wrong spot and could be accidently be ascending something harder than 5.4 and get in trouble.

Since this happened at 13,800 I’m guessing they were trying to figure out where to start that final crux.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Very sad. My condolences to the deceased’s friends and family. The traverse definitely requires difficult route finding. Even on-route, there are plenty of places to get into trouble.
Century Bound, eventually.
Slawson405
14ers: 57  1  1 
13ers: 116 3 1
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Slawson405 »

onebyone wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:42 pm When we did it, I have to admit it was a bit of a guess whether we were at that last crux move. I was def worried we were in the wrong spot and could be accidently be ascending something harder than 5.4 and get in trouble.

Since this happened at 13,800 I’m guessing they were trying to figure out where to start that final crux.
It was most likely on the decent, easy to take the wrong gully coming off the needle. Don’t know for sure though but that would be my guess as that’s where most accident happen on that route.
“Buy the ticket, take the ride.”
mtn_hound
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtn_hound »

Slawson405 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:43 am
onebyone wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:42 pm When we did it, I have to admit it was a bit of a guess whether we were at that last crux move. I was def worried we were in the wrong spot and could be accidently be ascending something harder than 5.4 and get in trouble.

It was most likely on the decent, easy to take the wrong gully coming off the needle. Don’t know for sure though but that would be my guess as that’s where most accident happen on that route.
Did you even read the article before coming to this conclusion? "Two Denver-area climbers were at approximately 13,800 feet of elevation on the 'class five' route that connects Crestone Peak to Crestone Needle when they got off-route." Either you have extremely poor reading comprehension, or you are speculating without having done an ounce of research. Neither is a good look.
Slawson405
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Slawson405 »

mtn_hound wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:50 am

Did you even read the article before coming to this conclusion? "Two Denver-area climbers were at approximately 13,800 feet of elevation on the 'class five' route that connects Crestone Peak to Crestone Needle when they got off-route." Either you have extremely poor reading comprehension, or you are speculating without having done an ounce of research. Neither is a good look.
Nope. It was a guess, not a conclusion 🤷🏻‍♂️
Slawson405
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Slawson405 »

Slawson405 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:56 am
mtn_hound wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:50 am

Nope. It was a guess, not a conclusion 🤷🏻‍♂️
Lol chill. I wasn’t writing an article.
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

RIP to a fellow Lodgling. You will be missed.
docinco
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by docinco »

mountain hound, feeling better today, or panties still in a bunch?
happyfeet
14ers: 52  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by happyfeet »

docinco wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:09 pm mountain hound, feeling better today, or panties still in a bunch?
Dude don’t be petty. This is a thread about a climber who lost his life. This isn’t a thread for you to hijack and talk about egos. Take that ish to DMs. Be respectful