14er stomach prep

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 14er stomach prep

Post by mtree »

Too much tequila the night before?
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
MaxmimumMills4
14ers: 25 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by MaxmimumMills4 »

mtree wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:44 am Too much tequila the night before?
XterraRob wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:36 am Are you pregnant?
It’s actually both. I’m pregnant and I had too much tequila. Is that bad or something?
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

MaxmimumMills4 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:22 am I appreciate all the suggestions! It’s definitely somehow anxiety related but what I can’t get my head around is that when I’m on the ridge or hopping over a block with a mile of air below me I’m as cool as a cucumber but when I’m chilling making breakfast in the morning my body is like “yea this is a good time to throw up”.
I think it anticipatory anxiety. People think anxiety has to be from something bad or you’re afraid of. Or your mind is racing with panic or something. All of this is not true.

My guess is that you are just excited about climbing a mountain and your central nervous system gets fired up. Then right before you start you get an adrenaline pump… then puke. Once you get going though, the anticipation part has passed, plus you are now focused on climbing versus sitting around waiting to start climbing. ;)
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

MaxmimumMills4 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:54 am
It’s actually both. I’m pregnant and I had too much tequila. Is that bad or something?
Probably not. Just drink more water.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
Jenna N S
14ers: 36  2 
13ers: 24 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jenna N S »

mtree wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:49 am
MaxmimumMills4 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:54 am
Probably not. Just drink more water.
No no! Drink red wine, not water. It keeps the heart heathy and blood flowing to the baby. That way you can keep drinking the tequila and hopping rocks all while being pregnant.
"They say that time is a great teacher but unfortunately it kills all its pupils. The mountains are also great teachers, and better still, they let the occasional star pupil live." Mark Lawrence King of Thorns
dan0rama
14ers: 26  5 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dan0rama »

onebyone wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:12 am
MaxmimumMills4 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:22 am I appreciate all the suggestions! It’s definitely somehow anxiety related but what I can’t get my head around is that when I’m on the ridge or hopping over a block with a mile of air below me I’m as cool as a cucumber but when I’m chilling making breakfast in the morning my body is like “yea this is a good time to throw up”.
I think it anticipatory anxiety. People think anxiety has to be from something bad or you’re afraid of. Or your mind is racing with panic or something. All of this is not true.

My guess is that you are just excited about climbing a mountain and your central nervous system gets fired up. Then right before you start you get an adrenaline pump… then puke. Once you get going though, the anticipation part has passed, plus you are now focused on climbing versus sitting around waiting to start climbing. ;)
I agree with this. There's a cool way to pseudo-diagnose through HRV measurements whether it's your emotional acting up. You would need to find your baseline HRV first by measuring it everyday for 1-2 weeks. Then, the night and morning before climb, you can measure it again. If you find that it is below your baseline measurement, even when you are resting inside your tent, then you are overly anxious. That means your sympathetic nervous system is overpowering you. This system forces you to take shallower breaths. To slow that system, you should exhale for 2-4 seconds longer than your inhale.
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

Like all things in life, there's definitely levels of health concern, and taking action when your body is telling you something.

* Sore after a big hike or climb vs unable to walk for a few days afterwards
* Feeling nauseous or tired at elevation vs a splitting headache and/or confusion, stupor
* Anxious or worried feelings before an outdoor endeavor vs ruminating, racing thoughts, or psychosomatic response like vomiting

Lack of sleep the night before? Worried about something bad happening (injury, caught in weather, etc)? Performance anxiety (expectations for keeping a schedule, wanting to impress people on Facebook or whatever)?

Get checked out - don't cover up stuff with tums or just "fight through it".

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
bdmtns
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bdmtns »

Curious if this might be an early morning wake up physical response compounded with the anxiety? I used to participate in a sport that involved 3-4a wake ups on competition mornings- I was always shaky, nauseous, and anxious until experimentation with eating and just getting used to the early days in general calmed those feelings. I stopped forcing myself to eat, found liquid calories much easier to take in early, and ate when I was more settled and actually hungry.

Perhaps you could try something like Hammer Perpetuem when you get up, and start eating solids when you're on the trail and your body has settled down? Less time in camp making breakfast and getting jittery, just get up and go and sip. No, it's not ideal to not get solids in early but if you're just throwing them up anyway, it might not hurt to try?
Woodie Hopper
14ers: 58 
13ers: 75
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Woodie Hopper »

I don't know about others, but I quit Perpetuem years ago D/T big time reflux during endurance events. Not before or early, but anytime with mix or tablets.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Perpetuem has been hard to find (although you could just make your own...). I've since switched to Scratch Superfuel but it's very expensive.
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

Agree with the above post that the best thing you can in the near time is to get on the trail right away when you wake up. Just pack extra food and eat something a few miles up the trail when you feel better. From the sounds of it, once your mind and body get moving on the trail, then you are over the hump. Have everything packed and ready to go the night before so there is almost no thinking

But I also feel these are panic attacks although it doesn’t seem like it. Those adrenaline pumps will add to fatigue when you come down from them. Also dehydration. Pre hydration the day and night before can help. But see my earlier comments. I think the hardest part is acknowledging that this might be anxiety even though it doesn’t make sense.

But I think you are on the right track reaching out and talking about it. Good luck!
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

Make sure to eat the same as normal and get your morning poop (or 2, or 3, whatever) out of the way before hiking. I find that when I don’t get my morning “routine” flushed out, if I have any nerves going into whatever the day might behold, it can turn into a feeling of nausea, but once the #2 happens, feels much better. Wake up at least an hour before hiking, eat, let the body relax, get your head right, study the map a little more so you don’t need to look at the GPS during the day. It doesn’t matter if it’s a 7am start or 12am start, I’ll always wake up at least an hour before to get food down and two out before boots hit the ground.