Car Camping Mattresses

Info on gear, conditioning, and preparation for hiking/climbing.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
sooshee
14ers: 15  1 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Car Camping Mattresses

Post by sooshee »

Like others who have posted, I use a memory foam mattress topper that I was no longer using on my bed. I have a Subaru Forester, and I cut the mattress to fit around the interior of the car - like the wheel wells, etc. I've found it to be pretty darn comfy for something I didn't have to spend money on (mattress topper was a christmas present).
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

i have been using a twin mattress from Walmart for about 3 years now.
it is very comfortable, and fits perfectly in the back of my Durango.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

i have been using a twin mattress from Walmart for about 3 years now.
it is very comfortable, and fits perfectly in the back of my Durango.
smrcka
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 116
Trip Reports (0)

Post by smrcka »

I found a foam company in Denver- it’s been awhile but I think it was D.E.M.P. Foam. Brought my 4Runner to the warehouse and they measured my interior then custom cut a pice of 4” foam to fit perfectly. Then I had them cut it in half so I can fold it when traveling. Got a duvet cover from IKEA to keep it clean. Total cost about $200. It’s like sleeping on a hotel bed. I’ve been sleep in my vehicle for about 4 years now and I love the set up.
It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err. - Mahatma Gandhi

To be aware is to be alive!
isueu2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by isueu2 »

griddles wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:08 pm Depends on the SUV you have. An exped mat fits great in my outback and sleeps great.
https://www.rei.com/product/171116/expe ... eeping-pad
I agree with the Exped rec. I have a single and a duomat (For various trips...solo or family). Almost like bringing your bed with you from home.
lauradaughtry
14ers: 48 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lauradaughtry »

I stacked two of these bad boys on top of one another after folding down the back seats in my 4Runner:

https://amzn.to/3P0ZLBr

I also have a cot-sized sheet set and down comforter to go with. Feels like sleeping at home!
“There are some who can live without wild things, and some who cannot.” —Aldo Leopold

Instagram: @laura.daughtry | lauradaughtry.com
JTOlson26
14ers: 20 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by JTOlson26 »

Luno mattresses are gaining a big following. I haven’t gotten one yet because I’m cheap but I like the idea of the dual chamber and being able to pump up either one side or both. They seem to have custom fits for a bunch of makes and models.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

big fan of Exped. the Deepsleep Medium-wide (72 x 25.6 x 3) fits perfectly in the 70/30 split in the back of my 4runner. i get too chilly with just a blow up air mattress because there is not enough insulation, so the addition of foam in this pad really covers all the bases. it's for sure the more boujee option, but i've had enough nights in the back of a windowless jeep sleeping on cold, bed-lined steel to justify the extra $. feels just like i'm sleeping in my bed at home (which certainly makes it harder to get up some mornings, but i guess you can't have it all)
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
CheapCigarMan
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 108 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by CheapCigarMan »

smrcka wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:49 am I found a foam company in Denver- it’s been awhile but I think it was D.E.M.P. Foam. Brought my 4Runner to the warehouse and they measured my interior then custom cut a pice of 4” foam to fit perfectly. Then I had them cut it in half so I can fold it when traveling. Got a duvet cover from IKEA to keep it clean. Total cost about $200. It’s like sleeping on a hotel bed. I’ve been sleep in my vehicle for about 4 years now and I love the set up.
Went to D.E.M.P. in Denver and had them make a 5" foam mattress to fit in the back of my truck bed. I finally got a chance to use it for the first time over the weekend. Wish I would have gotten it years ago. Much easier setup. Very comfortable. Only downside is the size for transport and storage but pros far outweigh the con :)

Thanks for the tip!
I should be on a mountain
aholle88
14ers: 57  24  26 
13ers: 300 29 3
Trip Reports (1)

Post by aholle88 »

Like most others on here, I use a 4" memory foam mattress topper, full size. Maybe thicker would be nicer but it's car camping, not the 4 seasons. The full size mattress toppers also fit nicely in a 2 person tent for glamping, much nicer than any sleeping pad.
Brent D
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Brent D »

I've been using one of these in for 6-7 years, in both my 99 and 13 4Runners (taking the bottom back seats out to fit my 6'1"). I generally also put a regular Thermarest pad on top of this for a little adjustability, and wrap both in an old sleeping bag to keep them from moving around. If anything this is too comfortable, tough to get up and out of the truck on cold mornings! :)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09BP1PBYN/re ... 37124&th=1
IMG_2623.JPG
IMG_2623.JPG (177 KiB) Viewed 1860 times
IMG_2904.JPG
IMG_2904.JPG (224.55 KiB) Viewed 1860 times